didn't you say it was optional?
sure, the verified ones might get better FB exposure....
but.....
are there enough legit FB photographers that will do this that their numbers will outweigh the "illegal" ones enough to actually bump the fauxtogs off the ad spaces?
kinda doubt it, but good for FB for actually making the effort.
what FB should have done is simply deleted any "business" pages that cannot prove they are a legitimate business in accordance with their local municipality.

Why worry about what someone else is doing? They're trying to make a living just as you so. Obviously, they serve a market that you would never.

so i dont have to start paying taxes and stop selling services on facebook its just optional right?

fauxtogs are a pet peeve of mine; ya know, get a camera, learn how to watermark, and BOM! Make your Facebook business page and set up your $50 a shoot with a CD of "all Edits" pricing structure. Next step? Shooting weddings for $500. Full of selective color and the like.

Wow. The nerve of some people. Say, do you think you could teach me this watermark thing? It's.. umm... For a friend... lol

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

LOL I should have been a bit clearer. My issue with them is that the paying taxes issue. Obviously the market they serve isn't the one that we cater to.
How do you know they aren't paying taxes on their business income? Do you audit their tax returns? Do you work for the IRS or state tax board? What makes their studio in the back of their friend's flower shop "illegal"?

How do you know they aren't paying taxes on their business income? Do you audit their tax returns? Do you work for the IRS or state tax board? What makes their studio in the back of their friend's flower shop "illegal"?
I know this because a. I searched them in our state's database of registered businesses and they don't exist. and b. They don't charge sales tax. In my state sales tax must be charged by photographers, therefore, it is obvious that they are running an illegal business.
We pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the government each year in order to be the owners of our studio.
The fact that this woman's pictures are crap doesn't bother me. The fact that she opened up an illegal basement business steps away from our legit one does.
I'm guessing that the fact that they were offering free meth with the purchase of their deluxe photo package might be a tip off as well...

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

I know this because a. I searched them in our state's database of registered businesses and they don't exist. and b. They don't charge sales tax. In my state sales tax must be charged by photographers, therefore, it is obvious that they are running an illegal business.
We pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the government each year in order to be the owners of our studio.
The fact that this woman's pictures are crap doesn't bother me. The fact that she opened up an illegal basement business steps away from our legit one does.

You don't pay "thousands and thousands of dollars to the government each year in order to be the owners of our studio", you pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the government each year BECAUSE of the income your studio makes. You say you're not bothered by the quality of her work, yet you somehow seem threatened by her existence. IF her business is illegal, her pictures are "crap" and she isn't any competition to you, why do you bother with what she is doing? I understand the fairness issue, but don't you better things to do with your time than to worry about someone who isn't in the market you cater to?

BTW, thanks for the information about FB. :clap:

You don't pay "thousands and thousands of dollars to the government each year in order to be the owners of our studio", you pay thousands and thousands of dollars to the government each year BECAUSE of the income your studio makes. You say you're not bothered by the quality of her work, yet you somehow seem threatened by her existence. IF her business is illegal, her pictures are "crap" and she isn't any competition to you, why do you bother with what she is doing? I understand the fairness issue, but don't you better things to do with your time than to worry about someone who isn't in the market you cater to?

BTW, thanks for the information about FB. :clap:

I know right? I mean next thing you know they'll be on the internet jumping all over someone and being all judgmental about what they are doing with their time and....

Umm.. wow. That's weird. My Irony meter just maxed out. Back later, have to see if I can figure out what's going on here... hmm..

All right, steady on lads...
Don't make me break out the moose on this thread.

3831af8c07accb17c36681a39cf5fc3d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Back to my original point: I thought that professionals who use FB for marketing may want to know that they can now go in and have their page verified. It's a nice thing. It was the topic of conversation before I was accused of not knowing what I'm talking about in regard to a situation that is across the street from my studio because I don't work for the IRS.
I think this is indeed a good thing, and I'm going to figure out how to get this done for my page today!

for gods sake people pay your taxes. Our corrupt officials need to pay their friends.

Back to my original point: I thought that professionals who use FB for marketing may want to know that they can now go in and have their page verified. It's a nice thing. It was the topic of conversation before I was accused of not knowing what I'm talking about in regard to a situation that is across the street from my studio because I don't work for the IRS.
I think this is indeed a good thing, and I'm going to figure out how to get this done for my page today!
I think you have to go to the settings portion and you will see where it says your page is not verified. You click on it and can start the process. It's easy :)
Yep, just looked it up, business license submitted.

eal76, I think business verification is a great thing, but let's just make something clear. Just because someone is not registered with the sec of state does not mean that they are not legitimate or not paying taxes. Freelancers do not always file for municipality, and they seldom file with the state, but that does not mean that some of them do not pay taxes. They may very well be paying taxes at the end of the year as a full-time indie contractor. Now, we're not dumb here, we know that many of them will dodge paying taxes; however, those who charge $50 a session...probably do not make enough in a year to contribute to taxes in regards to their photography "profession" anyway. Apologies if I misinterpreted your OP. I'm just tired of all the threads lately of the profession dying because of bargain businesses. Ino. Ino. This thread was simply about podunk Jane not being able to get a Facebook badge without an EIN.

I'm rambling. Sorry

Congrats on having a blue check mark next to your name

Most reactions

Back