3rd party battery as replacement to Canon LP-E8

atp8888

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I own a canon eos 600D and i would want to bring along a bauk-up battery pack. Canon LP-E8 sells 2x or 3x the cost of 3rd-party battery packs.

Are these 3rd party battery packs are any good? Some has higher mAh than the LP-E8, will this affect my dslr?

Thanks.

I used third party batts with my Canon gear for years and never had a problem with it. Because it's third party though, YMMV...

My experience with the less-expensive 3rd party batteries is that while they cost half as much... they also last about half as long. My 5D II isn't old enough to use as a comparison, but I have an older T1i. I had 3x Canon brand-name batteries and 3x 3rd party batteries. The 3rd party batteries lasted about a year and then didn't want to take a charge. The Canon brand batteries were still going strong 3 years later.

In the end I guess I didn't feel ripped off that the 3rd party batteries didn't last... but I definitely got the sense of "you get what you pay for."

After that experience, I just buy Canon brand batteries. Yes I pay more. But I figure they're a lot more likely to still be working several years from now.

Some has higher mAh than the LP-E8, will this affect my dslr?
That just means that they will last longer on a single charge.

I've been using off-brand batteries for years now. They last longer (per charge) than the Canons and they cost 1/5 of what the Canons cost.
But yes, I have also found & hear from others, that they have a higher chance of dieing (not holding a charge) than the Canons. But at the cost savings, it doesn't bother me.

I'm bought from Sterlingtek.com and from Link Delight (Forum sponsor).

Some has higher mAh than the LP-E8, will this affect my dslr?
That just means that they will last longer on a single charge.

I've been using off-brand batteries for years now. They last longer (per charge) than the Canons and they cost 1/5 of what the Canons cost.
But yes, I have also found & hear from others, that they have a higher chance of dieing (not holding a charge) than the Canons. But at the cost savings, it doesn't bother me.

I'm bought from Sterlingtek.com and from Link Delight (Forum sponsor).
Confirming, my good experience with 3rd party batts came from Sterlingtek as well.

I've had no problem with my 3rd party batteries but I also have never used them without at least 1 genuine canon batter either. My grip almost always has one genuine and one 3rd party. no problems at all

I've been using off-brand batteries for years now. They last longer (per charge) than the Canons and they cost 1/5 of what the Canons cost. I'm bought from Sterlingtek.com and from Link Delight (Forum sponsor).[/QUOTE]

Do the battery levels show in the camera? I've heard 3rd party batteries without chips don't show on the camera so you never know when filming will just stop!

Global, I've used 3rd party batteries in a Sony a230 and an Olympus E-450, and now in my Canon 7D. In all three cases they report the status to the camera.

Have had good luck with AM batteries. (After mart). I have a question for you guys/dolls. I need a PDF file for a manual for the Zeikos ZE-CBGT 2 after market battery grip for the Canon Rebel T3. The manual that came with it was absolutely horrible. The Chinese who put it together must have been on his 4th or 5th pipe full of "magic".
Well, anyway, hope some one will/can help me. I need a manual bad. Got it all going, but it is really aggrevating.

Best,
Casper

Hey:

I have/had it all figured out. Just like to have things that work and came with stuff. I don't imagine I will live forever on earth, and some day, someone may want to have all this stuff.

Thanks for your input tho.

casper

I have bought a few canon LP-E8 spare batteries from Amazon, and have had no issues, with any of the multiple brands.

I'm using Canon LP-E8 Battery Pack, recommends you buy from a reputable source like Amazon to assure you receive a genuine item. My 2 Pack of batteries have outperformed my factory battery by leaps and bounds.
w.png
I received a pair of 2000mAh batteries like many other people have and they simple shoot all day. With a fully charged battery, you can simply take thousands of pictures. I have taken thousands of pictures with these batteries and they are flawless. Worth every single penny!

Most reactions

Back