3rd party flash at Target

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got a relative that has a basic Nikon D40 setup. Doesn't really know much about photography, probably won't grow into it much past the "auto" settings.

I found a third party flash at Target for Nikon (and Canon) SLR's. It looked similar to the SB-400, but it was only $40. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with it and if it was worth it as a $40 Christmas gift to someone who likes photography?

Had no idea they had anything remotely related to photography.

Could you post a link? Yongnuo's 460 is only like $49 on Amazon and would be a lot better than a SB400 knockoff I think. But that's not helpful if you have a gift card or something.

Had no idea they had anything remotely related to photography.

Could you post a link? Yongnuo's 460 is only like $49 on Amazon and would be a lot better than a SB400 knockoff I think. But that's not helpful if you have a gift card or something.

They have a small area by the cameras with some knock off equipment, tri pods, lens filters, flashes, camera bags... Unfortunatly, I cannot find a link on their website, doesn't look like its sold online, and I don't recall the manufacturer.

I'll take a look at the Yongnu, that's in my price range. Thank you.

EDIT: Just looked at it and it doesn't appear to support TTL, don't think that is going to help much for someone who doesn't understand manual flash and probably has no desire to learn anything about it.

Last edited:
It's not built like a tank. It's real cheap-like. Got one on clearance and returned it.
It did work however. But they'd be better off with a Nikon SB-400 if the money is tight.

I wouldn't recommend that one as there are better options out there which are similarly priced. I would recommend the Bower SFD728 for $49 at Amazon. Or if you can't wait your local Walmart should have the Sunpak DF3000 for $59. Borh are actually the flash under different brands. There is a Neewer version two. They are all TTL capable and have versions for Canon, Nikon and Sony. Also these are tilt and swivel capable meaning you will have better bounce flash opportunities. And lastly these have flash zoom albeit manual only. Yong Nuos are better but the TTL capable models are more expensive often starting at $80. Here are some links:

http://************************/review/bower-sfd728-flash/

Amazon.com: Bower SFD728N Automatic TTL Flash for Nikon i-TTL: Electronics

Nikon Sunpak DF3000 Flash: Digital Cameras : Walmart.com

the link doesn't point to the review. Just google bower sfd728. The site is phototipsonline.com

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yong Nuos are better but the TTL capable models are more expensive often starting at $80. Here are some links:

Sorry to be (slightly) off topic... but do happen to know if the yong nuo II for Panasonic/Olympus are TTL compatible?

Since the YN II is a multi-brand capable speedlite, I don't think it is TTL capable as each camera brand has its own TTL system.

I always recommend people get a 1st party brand flash for their first flash and once you want to get into lighting setups and playing around with multiple flashes you should start looking at the 3rd party options.

A flash is not some meaningless accessory and choosing the wrong one can seriously damage your camera, especially if it's a knock off. It bothers me when people cheap out on certain things like batteries, flashes and tripods. You buy an expensive DSLR yet you cheap out on it. Anyways the SB-400 is about $100+ new or even as low as $80 used. But really if you must really be cheap at least go with Yongnuo. Anything the big box stores sell as "for Nikon" is just plain crap.

I always recommend people get a 1st party brand flash for their first flash and once you want to get into lighting setups and playing around with multiple flashes you should start looking at the 3rd party options.

A flash is not some meaningless accessory and choosing the wrong one can seriously damage your camera, especially if it's a knock off. It bothers me when people cheap out on certain things like batteries, flashes and tripods. You buy an expensive DSLR yet you cheap out on it. Anyways the SB-400 is about $100+ new or even as low as $80 used. But really if you must really be cheap at least go with Yongnuo. Anything the big box stores sell as "for Nikon" is just plain crap.

I agree with you about having 1st party flash, but if it comes down to a SB400 or 3rd party that has more flexibility in the head and could be used with triggers someday, I would say go the 3rd party route. The SB400 can only bounce up in landscape and since it is iTTL, the cheap wireless triggers won't work with it. With that in mind, and around that price point I would go with a 3rd party.

I started with the SB400 and wish I had never got it. Went to the SB600 and glad I have it, but I really like my YN-560-II. I feel TTL is actually a little harder to use than manual. I shoot nightlife stuff in clubs and bars and TTL is inconsistent. Setting my Yongnuo on manual, at 1/4 gives consistent results. Of course thats for my use. In a setting where the lighting didnt change every second TTL would probably be more useful.

In an ideal world, a Nikon flash would be perfect but not every body can afford one after spending so much on the body and presumably a kit lens included. But I'd skip the the SB-400 as well as the Targus as both can only bounce in landscape mode. Remote flash capability IMO can wait until one has already garnered more skills in photography. Just my two cents. :)

In an ideal world, a Nikon flash would be perfect but not every body can afford one after spending so much on the body and presumably a kit lens included. But I'd skip the the SB-400 as well as the Targus as both can only bounce in landscape mode. Remote flash capability IMO can wait until one has already garnered more skills in photography. Just my two cents. :)

Buying cheap junk at target is a waste of time and money.... will only hold you back. If you can't afford OEM, get a Vivitar 283 / 285 or a Yongnuo 460 / 560 or so. Yes.. you will have to learn manual flash, but since it is more accurate than TTL (and everyone SHOULD learn manual flash)... it is a much better way to go.
The SB-400 lacks power and functionality... I wouldn't bother with it either. You are almost better off with the pop-up flash.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back