4 8gb cards or 1 16gb card?

JayClark79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You can ALMOST buy 4 8gb cards for the price of 1 16gb card... Storage wise this is a no brainer.... Im just wondering what you pro's use... I have a friend that shoots wedding that stays away from the bigger cards because there is always the chance they can carrupt?

The cards im talking about are SDHC San Disk Extreme III's

in most cases i believe people will recommend 4 8gb cards for the reason you mentioned. One thing you do have to take into consideration is what kind of person you are. If you have 4 cards what are the odds of you loosing one of them?

I personally would take the 16GB card... I know I would lose of misplace the 8GB ones haha

I would go with the 4 8 gig. That way is something bad happened to the card you only lose some of your pics instead of all of them.

ofcourse that only matters if you are shooting enough to have to change cards often.

I personally would take the 16GB card... I know I would lose of misplace the 8GB ones haha

Losing the amount of images on 1 8gb card due to corruption, theft, loss, physical damage, etc... is a lot less devastating than losing 16gb of images.

Thanks guys im going to go with 2 8gb's for now... I can always purchase more :)

You have to take a LOT of images to fill 16Gb anyways, I think you'll be fine with two 8's.

You have to take a lot of images to fill an 4GB card, let alone an 8GB card.

I think a 16GB card in a still camera is an absurdity.

Well... I can buy a 16 GB for 18 pounds... (24 dollers?)
But first time I bought an 2x8GB and a 16GB
They all broke :/
So i have 4 4gb
(only £22)
I keep them in their case unless using them now..
but i still have 1 16GB which I use as a portable hard drive (but its in a memory stcik i bought from pound land)

So i have 1x4GB card in my camera 1x4gb card in my bag for college (and i always have my 50mm mounted)
and 2x4GB in my camera bag

so in college i take 2x4gb 1x16gb (but my canon doesn't accept it as it is a tad above 16gb... thus using it as portable memory) and a 2GB flash drive that my college gave me =]

+ smaller cards = less ikmage = if corruption occurs then there is less photos lost + you focus what your doing more

As most have already said... I'd rather have 4 8GB's for the more storage, as well as corruption, being lost, etc.

Good luck!

-David

I have standardized on 8 gigabyte CF cards now. According to one technical guru whose word I trust, the biggest danger with CF cards is them getting "zapped" when they are pulled out of the camera, so the fewer card swaps, the better. I do not worry about that too much, but I do make sure the camera is OFF when inserting or ejecting a CF card. What I like about 8 gig cards is that a full one will *always* fit onto two DVD's.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back