4 HDR Covered Bridges near Fredericton NB

Discussion in 'HDR Discussions' started by PasqualettoM, Apr 11, 2017.

1. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I really need to start looking at the little things more. I overlooked the link to your website earlier. This morning I went to it. First of all you have a clean looking layout that is easy on the eye, and navigation is straight forward. Most important you have some really nice images. I did notice in your section titled HDR that all of those images were heavily processed. While my personal opinion is that some of those would have been better with less heavy handed processing, as the artist your opinion is the only one that matters, and if you're happy with them so be it. One thing I did notice is a few of them had the same halos that your bridge shots had. According to your earlier post the halo on the bridges was there because you "didn't feel like spending time post to remove" . So now I'm slightly confused as to why you didn't take the time to remove the halos from the ones on your website site. As I said earlier you have some really nice images on the site, that these just don't seem to fit with?

2. PasqualettoM

PasqualettoM TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    A valid point the HDR images posted all come from the same day. It's an album which really shouldn't exist on the site and likely won't much longer.

The taking the time for post on them comment referred to sitting down and determining my best method for removing the Halo. I do personally like the over processing as I find it makes it stand out far from the norm.

Thank you for the feedback on the website it truly is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

3. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    No problem. I suspect that the halo is coming from something in the heavy processing, maybe an accentuation of ghosting. If you are using LR or PS I would highly recommend downloading the NIK Collection it's free and has a plug in for both. The HDR flexibility is great.

4. Tim Tucker 2

Tim Tucker 2 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

An honest critique.

I've just seen these and will give my honest opinion.

With colour, these images may have been shot on a dull day, but you can't tell so little of the image is left for the viewer to see. With the colour they have all been reduced to two main colours, a dark de-saturated cyan/blue, and a dark brown/dark yellow. These are pretty much the only colours apart from blacks in the images.

The colours themselves do not work together and certainly don't work together when they are presented at the same luminosity. The river is reduced to the look of a sewer, the sky and snow the same leaden grey.

With luminosity, they are all, (apart form one slightly lighter one), comprised of shadow values with very little variation in luminosity. In fact with the darker three the only real contrast in luminosity and the only values that get above mid-grey in luminosity are the halos.

The main tools of a photographer are visual, that is you paint with a palette of hue, luminosity and saturation. But I do not see any understanding of either colour or luminosity here, on fact I see the opposite, a complete lack of understanding.

I find the colours hideous together compounded by reducing the luminosity of each, (of the two colours), until there is little separation. You may certainly break the rules, you may certainly do things differently. But you must accept that with any image you are expressing your vision by presenting an image that will be interpreted by the viewer to their understanding. You are not presenting your understanding of what you think they should be, what you imagine them to be, or how you think a viewer should see them. To be frank in the universal language of images the message is loud, clear and unmistakable.

My personal view is that if these are the vision then the statement is one of a repulsive nature, certainly not attractive. Fetid and rotten, certainly not a place I would be without holding my nose, such is my impression. Sorry, but as I said, an honest critique.