pic 2
neweas2009pics101.jpg

pic 3
neweas2009pics139.jpg

pic 4
neweas2009pics086.jpg

thank you
EAS 93'

#2 is pretty cool, the others don't do much for me but it's good to see that you haven't completely overprocessed them.

To me the one that I like is #2

I like #2 the best as well. Perhaps a tiny bit of fill flash would have helped the details of the leaf/branch come out more, but it's good as a silhouette.

#1 seems like it's missing something, I think the crop is too close. The larger branch going up seems like we should see more of it. Also, a higher aperture would have let more of the trees be in focus.

#3 looks washed out a little bit.

#4 just doesn't do anything for me.

I like #2 the best as well. Perhaps a tiny bit of fill flash would have helped the details of the leaf/branch come out more, but it's good as a silhouette.

#1 seems like it's missing something, I think the crop is too close. The larger branch going up seems like we should see more of it. Also, a higher aperture would have let more of the trees be in focus.

#3 looks washed out a little bit.

#4 just doesn't do anything for me.
newb question here but what is aperture and thank you yall :)

Aperture is the size of the opening inside the lens. Smaller opening is a higher f/stop number and larger opening is a smaller f/stop number.
Larger number: More things in focus.
Smaller number: Less things in focus.
I highly recommend the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson.

#1 - The shades of B&W you have chosen (preset by photoshop?) are okay - not too much contrast either which is nice to see, However I don't know where the focal point is in this picture, do you? - none of it is really in focus but the general shape is there. Shows improvement but i don't really 'get' this picture.

#2 - Quite like the potential in this one. I'm a sucker for Sepia. You needed to get the whole of the leaf in shot however,.. the subject is cut short and it's a shame... nice shapes - nice colours. The focus (auto?) is a little odd however - probably due to low levels of light. Needs to be sharper in my opinion. Another good effort - I like this picture - with a bit of work you could have a nice one there

#3 Tricky subject - Lots of shapes going on but they are lost amidst over the exposure. My eyes are drawn to the light rather than the strange tree formation - partly because it's not central, and partially because the white is so overpowering - you have thick black shadows and bright white light - did you mess with the contrast on this? A little more planning on this picture, perhaps changing the angle slightly and taking at a different time of day -

#4 Does nothing for me, the pole is not central in the picture, and the upper right section of sky appears to be a completely different shade than the rest... this pulls my eye towards a large area of blank featureless sky, which isn't interesting. I'm interested in what you are trying to take a picture of in this? was it the height of the object you liked, the sky being split by the arms of this thing? Nothing is really in focus - and object is not interesting enough or colourful enough for it to be of interest by leaving it in colour... seems misplaced.

Much better efforts seen here than in your previous posts - but you still need to think more about what you're really trying to take a picture of... take lots of time over planning.

Have you got a tripod? just a thought but maybe the camera is not totally still when your shooting?>

MUCH MUCH better, i applaud your work, the 4th is my favorite IMO, not too photo processed, but still has your style to it

This is the first time i've seen your pics and other than some lighting problems I think you are making mistakes in composition, try to build the image in your mind and if you are missing a branch or leaf add one make what you see into a visually nice image

I'm going to have to say none of them do anything for me. REgardless of the fact that they are less processed than some of you other stuff, I still them over-pp'd, and more importantly, I don't feel that the pp 'fits' the pictures. It just seems random. You do know that it's ok to take pictures and do nothing more than color-correct and sharpen, or not even that.

My advice to you would bethis. Close photoshop, and don't open it for a month. Focus entirely on TAKING pictures. post some stuff up here that is straight out of the camera. No PP for a whole month or longer, until you feel like you can make a picture in the camera, and don't feel so compelled to just put ingredients into the camera, then make the photo in PS.

Most reactions

Back