$400. to Spend

My vote is for 2-SB-600's. Yea that completely kills the $400 or a little more. But having 2 flashes really makes a difference. Can always save a little here or there and pick up stands, umbrellas, etc as you can. But can use the SB-600's right off the bat without them.

Yes, some say get better equipment. But the problem is for $400 you really can't get a much better lens than what you have. You would be only stepping up a little bit. So, for my suggestion is to get the flashes as they would open up more opportunities.

I have 3-SB-600's, plus other flashes. So, far we have used up to 6 at one time. Since you have been reading the other sites you have seen the examples of what good lighting helps you to achieve in pictures.

Really dont have a reason to get all that cause I am going to build a 24 by 30 shop next year and untill then I wont have anywhere to set it all up!
I dont have a studio so I have to keep it small!

Flashes are not just for the studio! They are an everyday item to use in photography.

My vote is for 2-SB-600's. Yea that completely kills the $400 or a little more. But having 2 flashes really makes a difference. Can always save a little here or there and pick up stands, umbrellas, etc as you can. But can use the SB-600's right off the bat without them.

Yes, some say get better equipment. But the problem is for $400 you really can't get a much better lens than what you have. You would be only stepping up a little bit. So, for my suggestion is to get the flashes as they would open up more opportunities.

I have 3-SB-600's, plus other flashes. So, far we have used up to 6 at one time. Since you have been reading the other sites you have seen the examples of what good lighting helps you to achieve in pictures.

Really dont have a reason to get all that cause I am going to build a 24 by 30 shop next year and untill then I wont have anywhere to set it all up!
I dont have a studio so I have to keep it small!

Flashes are not just for the studio! They are an everyday item to use in photography.

Ok yes I agree with that because I have seen outdoor car shoots... Lots of setup!

But I am just slowly begining so I am trying to do one step at a time!

So thinking that I could get the Nikon 50mm and the SB600 flash. Then as more money comes up I can get more stuff. I am trying to get the basics and get good with them before buyin unbreallas and such!

Am I on the right track!????

I have the SB-600 and the 50mm 1.8 and that that is some great basic gear to have. I say get that stuff then when more money comes in get a light stand umbrella, etc.

Start reading the Strobist Lighting 101 if you aren't yet.

There is still alot that can be done and alot of fun to be had with one flash.

YEah that site has been recommended by a few people and I have it saved. I have been trying to get to read it as much as possible. I get so excited when I start to learn new stuff just wish I had more money!!! dont we all! LOL

Which is Better the 50mm 1.8 or the 35mm 1.8 I want one of the two I just cant decide. the Local camera store said the 35mm is the one. Combined with the SB-600 I should be able to learn alot and have good stuff to practice with!

i think i would go 35 since youre on a crop sensor...it'll allow you to be closer to your subjects.

*edit*
you have a lens that covers both of those lengths...so i would set your lens at 50, and imagine being stuck at 50...too close?...just right?
do the same for 35.

A flash with accessories was definatly my first thought.

What about a battery grip? Ever since I bought mine, I have never taken it off. The extra battery power and the shooting in portrait mode is way easier.

Yeah I know HERE IS MY TOP 5. LIST
Just not sure in what order

1. 35mm f/1.8 or 50mm f/1.8
2. SB-600 SpeedLight
3. Nikon MB-D80 Battery grip
4. Flash Accesories, Stands and Soft Box, Color Filters and such
5. Extra Flashes, Slaves...

sb-600 and gary fong light diffuser :)

BnH Photo I can get the 50mm and the Sb-600 for Total: $ 354.90 shipped! I think I may go this way.....

So I will have about $45 dollars left ANYTHOUGHTS?

Couple Ideas for the Flash!

#0105 Supreme Flash Diffuser
B&H# SB0105
Price: $ 14.95

Gary Fong
P1 Lightsphere II Inverted Dome Clear Diffusion System
B&H# GALS2P1
Price: $ 39.95

Gary Fong
C1 Lightsphere II Inverted Dome Cloud Diffusion System
B&H# GALS2C1
Price: $ 39.95

Last edited:
Save it for your next purchase :)

If you have to spend it, throw an extra battery in your cart.

Sad really, when I got my first SB-600 it was like $175 brand new from there.

BnH Photo I can get the 50mm and the Sb-600 for Total: $ 354.90 shipped! I think I may go this way.....

So I will have about $45 dollars left ANYTHOUGHTS?

Light stand - $20
White shoot through umbrella -$20
Umbrella adaptar - $15

$55, but you can start shooting off camera with that if you have a d80 or greater.

Save it for your next purchase :)

If you have to spend it, throw an extra battery in your cart.

Sad really, when I got my first SB-600 it was like $175 brand new from there.

Lucky you!!!! :gun:

Want to sell it to me used??? 135??? lol

OH EXTRA Battery for Camera or for Flash? I would think Camera right?

Yeah, camera...

Light stand - $20
White shoot through umbrella -$20
Umbrella adaptar - $15

$55, but you can start shooting off camera with that if you have a d80 or greater.

He has a D90 and can shoot off camera without all that as well :lol:

But yeah, good stuff to have if you're going to use it.

Most reactions

Back