400d Long Exposure Problem

Totally and completely beside the point of this post... every time I see that horrible pyramid I wonder what on EARTH the people who designed it and paid for it could have possibly been thinking... it would be difficult to have come up with a more horribly inappropriate structure in that size range to put there.
It's ART, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On Nikon and Canon systems, the stabilization feature is built into the lenses themselves where "supposedly" it's more effective than the body mounted stabilization systems like on Pentax. The advantage of Pentax is that you have the stabilization on every lens you use, albeit perhaps a bit less effective. On Nikon and Canon you get "claimed" more effective IS/VR on the lenses, but then of course you have to buy the feature for every lens since it's not in the body. I don't think either way is superior, just different.

And yes these are the "kit" lenses. I'm not sure if Nikon is going to be discontinuing their non-VR 18-55 kit lens or not - ditto with Canon. I suspect they might be, but who knows.

I didn't think the 18-55 kit lens supplied with the 400d had the IS feature?

(I may be wrong! :blushing:)

On Nikon and Canon systems, the stabilization feature is built into the lenses themselves where "supposedly" it's more effective than the body mounted stabilization systems like on Pentax. The advantage of Pentax is that you have the stabilization on every lens you use, albeit perhaps a bit less effective. On Nikon and Canon you get "claimed" more effective IS/VR on the lenses, but then of course you have to buy the feature for every lens since it's not in the body. I don't think either way is superior, just different.

And yes these are the "kit" lenses. I'm not sure if Nikon is going to be discontinuing their non-VR 18-55 kit lens or not - ditto with Canon. I suspect they might be, but who knows.

Canon and Nikon's system is better. No doubt about it. There have been comparisons and pro reviews and tests and everything...Pentax's system isn't bad...but putting the IS/VR system in the lens is better (so far). I know Pentax has room for improvement though.

I didn't think the 18-55 kit lens supplied with the 400d had the IS feature?

(I may be wrong! :blushing:)

It doesn't come with a IS lens. I purchased the 400d body and the canon 18-55 IS lens seperately.

The 18-55 IS, is one of Canon's newest lenses...annouced at the same time as the 40D. It's not the sypical 18-55 'kit lens' that people talk about.
I think there was some sort of problem with them because they seemed to have taken quite a long time to show up in stores. This is the first time I've actually heard from someone who actuall has the lens.

Again, thanks to all of you for helping me out. I have taken a few new pictures now with the IS turned off and the mirror lock on. I am much much happier with the results. It seems like the IS is the reason why all my tripod shots were coming out like that. Take a look at the first two shots with no IS and the third with it turned on.

This shot is ISO 100, 3.2sec exposure, f/10, no IS
2167293478_4d7e2e174e_b.jpg

This shot is ISO 100, 15sec exposure, f/20, no IS
2167311636_ce4f74d572_b.jpg

This shot is ISO 100, 6sec exposure, f/14, with IS
2167294234_195aa59ecf_b.jpg

That's good news, thanks for the update.

I'm glad I read this thread. Great tip on turning IS off. I'll keep that in mind!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back