400D Underexposure and finding out about it!

boclcown

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've been reading about all of this craziness concerning underexposure on the 400D (XTi). To be honest, this doesn't really bother me too much being that I have vowed only to use the AUTO feature of my camera in dire situations. But after reading some more heated arguments, I have been caught up in the horror of it all.

So all in all, I have four questions:

1) How do I determine if the camera underexposes too much?

2) Does the underexposure happen only when the camera is set to Auto? Like, is the underexposure a problem with the camera's light meter, or simply post-processing in camera, or what?

3) Is it possible to set EC in Manual mode?

I haven't heard about any underexposure problems with the XTi...but it could be possible. Keep in mind, the vocal minority make a lot of noise on the Internet. There are probably many, many more 400D owners who think their camera is just fine.

1) How do I determine if the camera underexposes too much?
I guess you could take a photo of a grey card and then measure the tone in photoshop. :scratch:

2) Does the underexposure happen only when the camera is set to Auto? Like, is the underexposure a problem with the camera's light meter, or simply post-processing in camera, or what?
Probably just the meter

3) Is it possible to set EC in Manual mode?
Not on my camera (20D)...because the dial that sets EC in the auto modes...just changes the aperture when in manual mode. All you have to do...is look at the meter/scale...if the needle is off of centre...you are compensating the exposure.

Most reactions

Back