40D or 5D?

Crimsonandwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
How much difference does that full frame make? Is it worth spending the money on the 5D? Or would it be better to go with the 40D and put that extra money towards an L lens?

The 5d will more than likely be dropping in price in the near(ish) future. They should be announcing a replacement for it in September at Photokina (not sure I spelled that correctly). I'm wanting my next camera to be full frame.

Curious, why are you switching away from the Sony? Not happy with it?

I am actually really happy with it. There are many reasons to switch to Canon though...

#1 I have a new business partner and he shoots Canon, so we could pool our resources if we shot the same brand.

#2 The used market for Sony is a lot smaller.

#3 Much better glass out there for Canon compared to Sony.

All in all I am very happy with the Sony, just works out better to make a switch before I get in too deep on the lenses and what not...

Depends on your budget and what will you be shooting btw?

There are 2 different cameras for a reason. Its not like they are equal and you get to choose one just because it looks better. They are indeed different, and it depends on your shooting and money to choose which one.

Well I will be shooting a lot of sports and portraits. I would like the ability to have prints up to 30x40 if someone wanted that.... That is why I was leaning towards the full frame.

If I was a Canan man, then without any hesitation go for 5D.
unfortunately I am still loyal to my film camera, Minolta Dynax 7

what do you need more, speed or full frame?
I myself would love a full frame but I shoot sports so its not the camera for me.I like portraits and landscape but they not what I shoot primarily.

what do you need more, speed or full frame?
I myself would love a full frame but I shoot sports so its not the camera for me.I like portraits and landscape but they not what I shoot primarily.

Well I would think I would need speed more for sports. If the picture doesn't look good to start with then big prints wont really matter, huh? :) Did I jsut answer my own question?

I own both. I'd say the 40D is better for action and sports, and the 5D is better for landscapes. Both do a great job for portraits. 30"x40" prints with either is going to require excellent exposure and processing.

I have to say, I am not thrilled with my 40D. I actually think my 20D takes better pictures.

Had I to do over again, I would purchase the 5D instead. The newer model is supposedly coming out soon, so you could wait for that or try and get your hands on the current one when the prices fall.

Lauren

Well I would think I would need speed more for sports. If the picture doesn't look good to start with then big prints wont really matter, huh? :) Did I jsut answer my own question?

I think so - if your bigger concern is sports, I wouldn't go with the 5D. I have the 20D and I was just recently looking into something that might be faster for sports and the 5D would be a step down in that department. And I'm not even sure it's worth upgrading to the 40D. Of course the ideal canon body for speed would be the 1D Mark III but it's not really in my price range.

If you have the money, I would wait and see if the 5D replacement is as fast as the 40D (or faster). I have the 40D and love it for its speed and crop factor. I want full frame too and will be getting one soon. Like said earlier, 2 different camera for different purposes. The 5D replacement won't be cheap though. I would say in the 3000 dollar range.

Derrick

Most reactions

New Topics

Back