40D Problem - Shutter button doesn't make the click.

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The problem: if I press the shutter button halfway down, it autofocuses, but when I press it the rest of the way down, the shutter actually actuates about 1 time out of every 5 clicks. This has happened for some time now, but not this bad, so I didn't think it was a big deal until I switched over the same lens & flash to my other 40D and found this problem was completely nonexistent in that one.

This is under warranty, so that shouldn't be a big problem...but I want to know if anyone's had this experience before. This only happens (or happens most) in extreme low light. I understand that if the focus mode is in Normal, then it will wait to Autofocus before you can take a shot. However, in AI-SERVO, it shouldn't care if the shot is in focus...I'm always able to hit the button whenever and it will take the shot, whether in focus or not. I have the camera set in AI-Servo, and it will focus, but not always take the shot...whether in focus or not.

Any ideas?

Have you turned off Auto Focus on the lens to try that?

Might it just not be firing in low light because it's hunting for focus?

Might it just not be firing in low light because it's hunting for focus?

That's what it seems like. In Normal focus mode, (not ai-servo) it has to find focus before it fires. But in AI-Servo, it doesn't require focus confirmation before firing. At the races, I shoot in AI-Servo.

Even so, when red lights lit up to tell me focus has been found, I still can't hit the button. (or rather, I can hit the button, but it doesn't do anything)

Crap dude, good luck. Is canon service pretty slow? Hope you figure it out before that.

Crap dude, good luck. Is canon service pretty slow? Hope you figure it out before that.

lucky for me, I have a backup, and know several people who have XT's, XTi's, and 20/30D's who would gladly let me use thier camera. Not too worried...this camera has been through a lot of dirt and it's about time it quit. Surely this is no biggie.

If you are using these things as tools, you have to accept that they will need to be maintained or repaired from time to time. It's no different than any other profession.

The shutters are 'rated' for a certain number of actuation's...but that's not a hard number that they will reach...some last much longer and some don't last that long. Just be glad that it's still under warranty and send it in.

If you are using these things as tools, you have to accept that they will need to be maintained or repaired from time to time. It's no different than any other profession.

The shutters are 'rated' for a certain number of actuation's...but that's not a hard number that they will reach...some last much longer and some don't last that long. Just be glad that it's still under warranty and send it in.

is this what happens when a shutter is bad?

The shutter shouldn't be bad if it still works with manual focus.

I don't know if the shutter is bad....I was using that as an analogy. If it still works in manual focus, then the shutter is still good.

I don't know if the shutter is bad....I was using that as an analogy. If it still works in manual focus, then the shutter is still good.

ok ok. I see. Was wondering about that...seemed like I was missing something there. Thanks for all the replies. I'll give Canon a call :)

I've been in contact with a few photographers who have been 'into it' with Canon Service...even their supposed 'pro' service. The consensus seems to be that the front line contacts (the first people you talk to) are usually unhelpful and it can get frustrating...but by the end, you will usually be satisfied because someone there will care enough to take good care of the customers.

Most reactions

Back