40D reliability?

andrewcollier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I was eagerly waiting reviews of the 450D when browsing through the Canon UK outlet on ebay for refurbished SLRs I did a search for the 40D. There was not a single one listed current nor completed sales in last 10 days. When I did a search for the 400D there are 17 currently listed and 51 completed in last 10 days.

This suggests that the 40D is VERY reliable against the 400D somewhat UNRELIABLE! What do owners think of either model? I wonder if the extra premium on the 40D would be a good buy against the 450D?

Any comments appreciated

I'm not sure that it's a matter or reliability. The 400D has been out for a little while longer and is in the lower price bracket...which might explain why there are more on the used market. As an entry level DSLR, it's sales volume will be much higher.

I wonder if the extra premium on the 40D would be a good buy against the 450D?
To some people yes, to other people...maybe not. For me, personally, I'd choose the 40D...but maybe that's not right for you....I don't know.

I have the 40D and 20D, and like them both. A lot of the reason you'd choose the 40D over the 450D is the more professional build, as well as the simple feel of it. The reason I upgraded to the 40D (from an XT/350D at the time) was solely because of feel. I hold my camera for a long time, when I am shooting...and the larger body made every penny worth it. It is simply more enjoyable to take pictures.

I owned the XT(350D) for two weeks before i decided to exchange it for my 40D. I was sold the first time i held the 40D and the ease of it. I realized it was a lot more money than the 40D but it was going to give me a lot of room to improve. Other thing that sold me on it was the 6.5FPS.. you can't get anything that fast without spending a lot more.

Just don't make the same mistake i made an purchase a camera without feeling it. I only felt the XT and XTi before i made my choice. bad bad bad

Most reactions

Back