40D vs. D80

smenkhare

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at upgrading my K100D and was wondering what you people would recommend. My interests are land/sea/cityscapes and wildlife photography.

both the 40D and D80 look good but i've heard the nikon doesn't have the best image quality. In its defence it supports SDHC while the canon has to use CF cards.

Help me!!

I'm looking at upgrading my K100D and was wondering what you people would recommend. My interests are land/sea/cityscapes and wildlife photography.

both the 40D and D80 look good but i've heard the nikon doesn't have the best image quality. In its defence it supports SDHC while the canon has to use CF cards.

Help me!!

That's a load of bovine.... - I would doubt very much whether anyone could tell the difference between an image taken under average conditions was shot with a Nikon, Canon, Pentax, or Olympus. All of the modern DSLRs have excellent image quality. Granted some have better performance at higher ISOs, some have faster frame-rates, etc, but for most of the photographic population, it boils down to the Ford/Chevy debate. Why do you want to move away from Pentax?

The canon has faster FPS and better high ISO performance. Really as far as features go the 40D sits somewhere between the D80 and D300. Both are good. Just read some reviews of each. Oh and I'm with tiredion just wondering why you want to switch brands.

That's a load of bovine.... - I would doubt very much whether anyone could tell the difference between an image taken under average conditions was shot with a Nikon, Canon, Pentax, or Olympus. All of the modern DSLRs have excellent image quality. Granted some have better performance at higher ISOs, some have faster frame-rates, etc, but for most of the photographic population, it boils down to the Ford/Chevy debate. Why do you want to move away from Pentax?

like the looks of the canons, seems to have more lens selection than pentax

like the looks of the canons, seems to have more lens selection than pentax

Take a walk down to your local used camera store and look at all the old Pentax lenses that are available - those are some excellent glass, and great prices too. If the looks of the camera are a concern... :confused: well, that's something I can't help with.

There is a lot of good autofocus glass for canon, if you have money to spend. There are however tons of m42 and k-mount lenses for pentax that cost next to nothing, and the quality of those lenses are truly fantastic. Of coarse you can also use m42 lenses on canon or nikon with a cheap adapter.

EOS 40D is a great camera when they are working...

this is a picture of my four days old 40D taken last night :grumpy:

IMG002.jpg

It is hard to compare Nikon to Canon because they're not apples for apples ... as RyanLilly stated, the 40D is between the D80 and D300.

The CMOS sensor is wonderful for reducing noise at ISO's of 400+ and is very superior to the CCD sensors in this regard. For wildlife, you will want the highest FPS you can afford ... wildlife (especially birding) may/will require higher shutter speeds ... which in turn may/will require a higher ISO under less than optium conditions ... due to these two factors the more expensive Canon wins.

The CF vs. SD is not a "real" consideration because cards do not effect IQ. All things being equal ... then yeah ... look at other factors and considerations ... but the Canon with its twice as fast FPS and superior IQ at higher ISOs are significant differences and takes these two cameras out of being "equal".

Another reason for moving to Nikon or Canon is that as a landscaper ... you gotta be drooling for a FF camera. Presently, Pentax does not make a FF. With both Canon and Nikon you can have an APS-C with a long lens for wildlife over one shoulder and a FF with a wide lens around your neck ... life is good.

Gary

Last edited:
Try them both, buy the one you like.

The CF vs. SD is not a "real" consideration because cards do not effect IQ. .

Another reason for moving to Nikon or Canon is that as a landscaper ... you gotta be drooling for a FF camera. Presently, Pentax does make a FF. With both Canon and Nikon you can have an APS-C with a long lens for wildlife over one shoulder and a FF with a wide lens around your neck ... life is good.

Gary

CF vs. SD. It is for me. pins are evil in my opinion.

FF. Drooling? yes. affording? nope.

Presently, Pentax does make a FF.

Gary

It does? Which model is that? Given that Pentax has been investing heavily in reduced-frame lenses, I thought they wouldn't be releasing anything FF for some time to come. (??)

It does? Which model is that? Given that Pentax has been investing heavily in reduced-frame lenses, I thought they wouldn't be releasing anything FF for some time to come. (??)

Opps ... my typo ... Pentax does NOT make a FF. Thanks for catching that Bifurcator. I need a copy editor.

Gary

I used a D80 for about ten months, and I liked it a fair bit. The image quality is fine, the body is sufficient for regular use, but the high ISO performance wasn't really up to my standards. Then again, I'm not sure that the 40D would be up to my standards either. The Nikon D300 barely is. Nikon has a better flash system, if that's a concern to you. But, at the same time, most of the time Canon's lenses are cheaper than Nikon's (especially at the super-telephoto range) but that might not matter a lot to you. Both Canon and Nikon are great, they both offer great bodies at different levels and great lenses and tons of accessories. It really all comes down to which you like more.

Most reactions

Back