430EX II is stuck on this strobe like effect. Please help.

fenderphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Please help me fix this issue. My Canon 430EX II is on this strobe like effect. I used to be able to press the pilot button and it would pop off like any other flash. Now when I press it it strobes for about a second and always does it. It doesn't do it when attached to the camera but I often do long exposures and walk around and pop off the flash to fill in certain areas of the shot.

Check your setting for Custom Function 2. If set to 1 or 2 it will fire on the pressing the test firing button. (user manual, pg. 21).

Check your setting for Custom Function 2. If set to 1 or 2 it will fire on the pressing the test firing button. (user manual, pg. 21).
This. Turn off the modeling flash function.

I sugest you send your flash to Canon service, it's the best way to fix this problem.
what awful advice...

Sorry my mistake, it is not available with the 430EX II unless it is used as a Slave flash to a Master flash that has this feature. Do you have a master flash or wireless unit acting as master?

Last edited:
Sorry my mistake, it is not available with the 430EX II unless it is used as a Slave flash to a Master flash that has this feature. Do you have a master flash or wireless unit acting as master?

did you post in the wrong thread?

Luckily on Nikon flashes the Modeling Flash is a different button.
On the canon you have to set a setting as mentioned above.

If you ever want to take a photo of, say a bouncing ball. You can do a long exposure, use the modeling flash and get the ball at various stages of bouncing.

Is your D.O.F preview button pressed down at all? Probably not, but sometimes that keeps it on

I bet the OP figured out a couple of years ago.
The thread was started - May 22, 2014.

Oh yeah lol - for some reason it was marked as a new post for me - d'oh! Well, let's hope the OP has! :)

Most reactions

Back