430EX II or 580EX II?

vd853

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can't decide between these two! This will be my first speedlite, and I don't want to upgrade in the future (but will be slaving). I'm not a Pro (although I do own L lens..), do you guys think a 430 will be more suitable for me? What is really the difference besides a brighter flash? HELP!:confused:

I'd like to see what is suggested... I'm thinking about picking one of those up, too :)

I can't decide between these two! This will be my first speedlite, and I don't want to upgrade in the future (but will be slaving). I'm not a Pro (although I do own L lens..),
Based on what you've stated, you should get the 580EX II first and then the 430EX II down the road. You can slave the 430EX II off the 580EX II but you can't slave a 430EX II off another 430EX II.

Yep, the 580 is the better of the two. Its brighter, cycles faster, has a sync port for using things like Pocket Wizards, and it's capable of being a commander for other flashes.

I bought the 580 first then picked up two 430's as remote/fill flashes.

I'd say the 580exII. You won't need to upgrade that any time soon. It's a rock solid performer.

QFT.

I have two. Love them both. Damn things could fry an egg though (I'm actually carrying both now so that I can swap-out when one heats up; that way I can keep firing away like mad when I'm trying to capture fast-moving action in crappy light without my gels melting...yes, I did it again...was fighting against really, really red lights. Bah!). As stated, you won't need to upgrade any time soon. I have a 550EX as well (the last generation most-powerful flash Canon made), and aside from the marginal difference in GN and a few nifty features on the 580's, it pretty much performs just as well as the new ones; feature-wise anyway.

I agree with all of the above posters.

I guess it depends on your budget as well, let me put it this way: if you can afford the 580EX II, go for it. If you can only buy the 430EX II, do it - you won't be wasting your money, just save up for a 580EX II in the future.

I could only afford the 430EX II for now, but I'm very satisfied with it. In my country the 430EX II's price is relatively stable, not much difference between retailers, but prices on the 580EX II vary hugely, in some cases they're exactly double that of a 430EX II !!

I just picked up a 430ex II at best buy for $220. I just couldn't afford the 580 ex yet. I love mine for what it's worth...If I need it off camera im using the cactus v2s transmitter/receiver which has been very good to me so far.

Get the 580. I got the 430 and almost immediately regretted it. The 580 is quicker, more powerful and can use external Turbo Battery packs with more ease. The 430 needs a special battery pack and even than cannot use the Lithium batteries on the new lighter packs. And NO PC sync cord.

I just picked up a 430ex II at best buy for $220. I just couldn't afford the 580 ex yet. I love mine for what it's worth...If I need it off camera im using the cactus v2s transmitter/receiver which has been very good to me so far.

Theres your problem dude u bought it at best buy. Online prices are way cheaper. try bhphotovideo.com

Theres your problem dude u bought it at best buy. Online prices are way cheaper. try bhphotovideo.com

I don't think I got it for a bad price? I actually thought I got it for a pretty good price.. BH is selling a new one for $240 and that's already with the $30 instant rebate included.

Most reactions

Back