430EX II or 580EX II?

I don't think I got it for a bad price? I actually thought I got it for a pretty good price.. BH is selling a new one for $240 and that's already with the $30 instant rebate included.
Yeah, $220 for the 430EX II is a really good price. Don't know what Misfitlimp is going on about.

I recommend getting a 430 mkII.

My reasoning is this:

It will do just about everything the 580 will do, and it is certainly enough for 99% of shots. If you decide you want to upgrade and use Canon's wireless system, you only need to get yourself a master (a 580 or that S2 thingy, whatever it is) and you already have a slave that will work with it.

I have two 430 mkIIs and they are great flashes.

Canon's IR commander unit is the ST-E2. ;) It's good for controlled, indoor conditions, where there's lots of places for the IR to bounce. Otherwise, a shoe-to-shoe cord (OC-E3 is what I use) if ETTL is a necessity, or radio triggers are required. Personally, I think the ST-E2 is a little bit of a disappointing performer in any environment other than smallish areas with lots of flat, light surfaces.

I decided on the 430EXII (Paid $223 in total). Why? I think the 430EXII at its highest will be more than enough for me. Plus, I have no other flash to slave with. So until I plan on getting an extra flash or find myself needing more flash power, the 580EXII is just too much power for me, will be saving $150 too!

Yay! You'll be pleased with that flash, it is good.

Most reactions

Back