430ex with 30d question?

CWA_JGEISINGER

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a 430ex flash on my canon 30d.

here is an example of what im trying to figure out.
when I have the flash in ETTL mode at +2/3 exposure.
and the camera in manual mode at 1/200th and F2.8 the exposure meter in the viewfinder with be all the way to the left as if the photo will be under exposed
but it actually comes out fully exposed.

does the flash automatically turn up its power to expose the shot but not actually show in the viewfinder?

any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks Jeremy

The camera meters for available ambient light only. So in situations where the scene is dark and you have the shutter turned up, it will normally read to the left. When you press the shutter button, The ETTL will meter the scene using a preflash to get the appropriate exposure.

You can add ambient light with your flash, by lowering the shutter speed. If you turn the shutter speed down slowly you'll see the meter begin reading.

so your saying the flash automatically adjust it's strength for proper exposure.

also what would be the benefit of putting the flash in manual mode?

so your saying the flash automatically adjust it's strength for proper exposure.

also what would be the benefit of putting the flash in manual mode?

Yes. In my opinion manual flash give you even more control over your light, but you really have to understand how to do it. I love the ETTL full auto myself.

That's correct. Even when you have the camera in manual exposure mode, E-TTL flash will expose for your subject. That's how I prefer to shoot with flash.

E-TTL will match the flash exposure to the aperture that you have set. The shutter speed only affects the ambient exposure (as long as it's below the max sync speed).
So even if you have the exposure set to underexpose, the flash will light up the subject (as long as it's within range).

This is why we have FEC, flash exposure compensation. With FEC, you can tweak the exposure that E-TTL will give you.

The only flaw in this system is that sometimes E-TTL metering is hard to predict and understand. Sometimes it gives weird results so you have to change your FEC.

Putting the flash into manual mode, can give you consistent results...but you will have to figure out the exposure value for yourself.

thanks alot guys you've both been very helpful

jeremy

Using the flash in Manual mode is difficult in my opinion because there are so many changing factors, like aperture and zoom.

So I generally only use manual mode on my camera if I'm using a prime lens - because then I'm usually the same distance away from my subject - so the flash strength won't need to be changed in regards to that.
So then if I change the aperture I only need to take that in to account.

Most reactions

Back