45 degree angled shots.

Thru_These_Eyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anybody show me an example shot that they have, where the light is used at a 45 degree angle? Thank you!!

45° from which axis? Left, right, up, down, coming or going?

Its a project from school and its from the lighting section of my unit....We have not yet got into studio lighting, so I am assuming I would be outside and I also assume there is no specific left, right, up or down I should be using. I guess I am just wondering if there is a noticeable difference in photographs taken outside when the angles of sunlight changes.....I took some shots when it seemed like the sun was at 45 degrees and then again when it went down a lot more and the only thing that seemed to change was the background....im lost on this project and its the only one i have left in this unit before i can move on and ive been stuck for a few weeks...which is why i come here in hopes for some inspiration.

I'm guessing that they probably don't mean 45 degrees from "top to bottom" but more a 45 degree angle to a subject from the side. For instance, plant your subject so that the light is at a 45 degree angle to the right - 45 degrees should give you nice light that shadows a little across the face, but also isn't flat.

Is this what you are after?

lighting-8-Edit-web.jpg

Been kinda grey today and rainy - no sun, so I used a flash indoors at ~45° camera right and slightly higher than head height.

*Hmmm........ ponders to self at self*

Here ia a diagram of a 1 light set up at 45 degrees/right. Usually when describing this setup you will also add the height of the camera.
The harshness of the light determines the amount of shadow that will be cast. The harsher the light the darker the shadow. Shadows will fall to the right of the subjects nose as well as the right cheek. This setup is often suplemented by a soft light from front to just left.
Besides effect, this setup is sometimes used on "overweight" subjects to give a slimming effect to the face.

Untitled-1.jpg

This uses two lights that are a little more than 45 degrees from the camera. It's probably more like 60. It was just a little test I was doing. The flashes are on the left and right of the camera and they were spaced accordingly so they could light the model and not produce and glare on the windows from the reflection of the lights.

Thank you guys for all the help and examples! I'll post up some of the pics I get after I am done and see what you guys think! Thanks Again! =)

Thru these eyes,
I'm new to this as well, so I cant really help you out as far as your question is conserned but, I went to that website Chrisburke told you to go look at..I love that sight..Thanks Chrisburke..Hope to see some of your photos on here Thru these eyes..:D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back