4th of July weekend at the Glen

Discussion in 'Photojournalism & Sports Gallery' started by TheRival, Jul 13, 2008.

1. TheRival

TheRival TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Took close to 1000 pictures while my family and I were at Watkins Glen International.
    They had IRL, IRL Lites, Vintage F1 and Koni Challange cars as well as a free Gavin Degraw concert and two nights of fireworks.

C&C please

[​IMG]
    Vitor Meira

[​IMG]
    Danica Patrick

[​IMG]
    Danica Patrick

[​IMG]
    E.J. Viso

[​IMG]
    Will Power

[​IMG]
    Ryan Briscoe

[​IMG]
    Helio Castroneves

[​IMG]
    Mario Moraes

[​IMG]
    Jaime Camara

[​IMG]
    Tony Kanaan

[​IMG]
    Jaime Camara

[​IMG]
    Jamie Camara

[​IMG]
    Bruno Junqueira

[​IMG]
    Ryan Briscoe

[​IMG]
    Jamie Camara

[​IMG]
    After turn 7 straight

[​IMG]
    Turn 7

[​IMG]
    Turn 7

[​IMG]
    Koni Challange turn 1

[​IMG]
    Koni Challange turn 1

[​IMG]
    Koni Challange turn 1

[​IMG]
    Koni Challange turn 1

[​IMG]
    Koni Challange turn 1

[​IMG]
    Honda Safety Crew

[​IMG]
    Fire Works

[​IMG]
    Fire Works

[​IMG]
    Beer Girls

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  2. Senor Hound

Senor Hound TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    These are very crisp shots. You did a good job of really getting the detail out of a moving object. But my only complaint is there is no Marco! Was there no #26 car? Sorry, I guess I'm just an Andretti fanboy. :)

Thank you for sharing, sir. I know the energy there was amazing, and I am truly jealous!

3. TheRival

TheRival TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LOL yes Marco was there...He was just driving the wheels off of his car and he was to fast for me to capture!!!! ;)

4. motorshooter

motorshooter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You did a good job shooting. Nice clear shots of the cars. Next time try to get closer to the subject and crop in tight, bring in the subject and use an assortment of views. After the first two images everything looked the same. Get closer to the beer girls...they don't bite:lmao:

Here's a tip too...shhhhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone. Use a great cut line to describe that action...not just "turn 7"..something like.....

"Caught in traffic and racing hard into Turn seven, Danica Patrick drives the No. 27 Motarola car tight into the turn looking for a opening to over take Will Powers in the No. 8 Team Australia car. "
    The cut line helps to let the reader know what was really going on.

Thats just the motorsports photographer in me shining through:lol:

And nothing is too fast to capture...............................................
    [​IMG]
    The Target Chip Ganassi Team service the No. 9 car of Scott Dixon with four fresh tires and a full load in Ethanol in less than 6.6 seconds. Dixon who is leading the IRL point standings finished third in Saturday nights race at Richmond’s International Raceway

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  5. TheRival

TheRival TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^ thanks for the advice, i will definitely be adding more information to my photos in the future...just need to stop the laziness!

6. Claff

Claff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    With the proper credentials you can get stupid close to the action at the Glen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were shot at the Rolex 24/NASCAR Camping World weekend last month.

7. motorshooter

motorshooter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    True^^ Thats why I like to shoot on a road course, even without credentials a fan get a halfway good image and it only gets better when the rent a big hunk of glas, like a 500mm-1200mm.
    [​IMG]
    I shot this image in April while covering a story down at VIR. I used a 100-400 IS. Five feet behind me and on the other side of the fence, races fans were capturing the same image with their gear.

You can't do that at a NASCAR race or an oval track. RD.Atl, VIR, the Glen and Daytona's infield are super spots for fans to watch a race.

8. TheRival

TheRival TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Great photos!!! how does one get the proper credentials?

9. TheRival

TheRival TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

^^^ Oak Tree?!?!

10. motorshooter

motorshooter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes; Oak Tree.^^^^:wink:

To acquire proper media or photography credentials you have to be working or shooting for the track, a newspaper, a magazine, a team a wire service or a website that is recognized by the facility. Your editor has to request the credentials for you or if you are a freelancer you have to show a “proof of right to work” letter form the news agency you have contracted with.

Afterwards as a common courtesy to the track I shot at I usually supply them with a CD of quality images and a couple of copies of the newspaper or magazine that my article was featured in.:wink:

11. Claff

Claff TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You have to get hooked up with a publication that covers racing and have them arrange credentials for you. Sounds difficult but it really isn't. Most racing trade publications (Area Auto, Gater Racing News, and I'm sure there are others) might be some to contact, show them your work and suggest you cover an event on their behalf. You won't get paid but you'll get closer to the action.

I've been covering the NASCAR Camping World East (formerly Busch North, then Busch East) for 12 years on my own site and with that history behind me I can request credentials for me and the missus on our own behalf. It wasn't that long ago that tracks absolutely would not grand credentials to websites but that's changed, to some degree.