4th shoot of my kiddos (C&C welcome)

asheeants

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I told you guys in my last post I would put these up. Here's my noobie shoot of my children. I took most of these with my 70-300 lens, and a few with my 18-55. I intended on using the homemade reflector I made but ended up forgetting all about it at the time, so I know a few of these could have used it. If you have any C&C Id love to hear it, or any edit ideas. I am in no way experienced in the editing process, I just did a couple things with lighting in some of these. Thanks guys

DSC_1120.jpg

DSC_1197.jpg

DSC_1163.jpg

DSC_0073-1.jpg

DSC_0192.jpg

DSC_1189.jpg

DSC_0122-1.jpg

#1 white balance is off and your subject is in the dead center of the frame.
#2 Horizon is off and the WB is off the same amount. Composition is great, best of all shots.
#3 Focus is off and the face is all blown out
#4 reflector or fill flash would have helped here. Sky and hand are blown out.
#5 Subject is dead center again. Fill Flash or reflector would have helped here.
#6 Blown out spots all over here.
#7 subject in the center again.

Overall, mind your rule of thirds, if you're not sure what that is googling it should give a good answer, and there's a sticky thread at the top of this forum with lots of helpful stuff. You've got blowouts/hot spots everywhere, that means you've overexposed an area losing all detail. There's little you can do in PP to fix this because all the detail is gone. Shooting in direct sunlight, mid day, creates this challenge, to overcome it put a gobo between your subject and the sun, some large diffuser, tree :) in other words try to keep them out of the sun's path all together. As you mentioned you forgot your reflector, I think it kept you from getting some really great shots. I used a white painted door once :meh:. What I have been doing lately is setting exposure to the background then lighting my subject until it looks right. I'm no pro but that's what I like to do outside with my daughter.

I see your focus off in all of them. They could be sharper, mostly so in their eyes, and aren't.

Other than that, supraman has said it all.

But your daughter's got a face like a doll. Too cute!!!

#1 white balance is off and your subject is in the dead center of the frame.
#2 Horizon is off and the WB is off the same amount. Composition is great, best of all shots.
#3 Focus is off and the face is all blown out
#4 reflector or fill flash would have helped here. Sky and hand are blown out.
#5 Subject is dead center again. Fill Flash or reflector would have helped here.
#6 Blown out spots all over here.
#7 subject in the center again.

Overall, mind your rule of thirds, if you're not sure what that is googling it should give a good answer, and there's a sticky thread at the top of this forum with lots of helpful stuff. You've got blowouts/hot spots everywhere, that means you've overexposed an area losing all detail. There's little you can do in PP to fix this because all the detail is gone. Shooting in direct sunlight, mid day, creates this challenge, to overcome it put a gobo between your subject and the sun, some large diffuser, tree :) in other words try to keep them out of the sun's path all together. As you mentioned you forgot your reflector, I think it kept you from getting some really great shots. I used a white painted door once :meh:. What I have been doing lately is setting exposure to the background then lighting my subject until it looks right. I'm no pro but that's what I like to do outside with my daughter.[/Q

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I know I have a lot to work on. I do have a good eye just not equipped with all the skills to properly execute it yet. I will keep working at it and be more mindful of my surroundings. Thanks again!

I see your focus off in all of them. They could be sharper, mostly so in their eyes, and aren't.

Other than that, supraman has said it all.

But your daughter's got a face like a doll. Too cute!!!

I seem to be having this problem with my photos. The face or eyes seem to be out of focus a lot of the time. Thanks for the nice comment! :blushing:

they're blurry. I would look into this

in the ones where their faces are shaded using your flash as a fill flash would help

No problem. Your kids are cute too. Yeah these things take a lot of time and kids are impossible to work with, ESPECIALLY if they are your own because we all know how well they listen to their parents. "I don't wanna take any more pictures daddy I want to play." So keep trying and reading.

Most reactions

Back