4x5 and depth of field

My wedding photo was done with a 4x5 and has a nice fade to blur at the base of the full length portrait shot. Starts to go OOF about the flower bouquet that my wife is holding.

My wedding photo was done with a 4x5 and has a nice fade to blur at the base of the full length portrait shot. Starts to go OOF about the flower bouquet that my wife is holding.

A real photographer doing weddings? :suspicious:

A real photographer doing weddings? :suspicious:
Well, in this case it was my sister and she dragged her 4x5, big wooden tripod, stepladder and crazy big box with six negative carriers a couple thousand miles just because I mentioned it would be nice if she could take some shots at the wedding (I had someone doing video).
The shots were done the day after the wedding and we got to pick one shot that we have as a framed 8x10. That was 20 years ago and that one picture still sits in our living room.

[...] While I have total respect Sparky, I completely disagree that there is no use for movements in the studio. Getting the face in focus while the torso blurry is precisely a situation where you would use tilt.
[...]
Strongly agree with the first sentence, but not so much with the second.

If at all I would use tilt in order to make sure both eyes are in focus. I wouldnt care about the torso, though.

I never said there's NO use for movements.... just very little need when the subject and camera are positioned properly.
That means you can only photograph everything frontally. Depending upon the subject, that isnt even possible. Either way its a huge limitation.

[...] While I have total respect Sparky, I completely disagree that there is no use for movements in the studio. Getting the face in focus while the torso blurry is precisely a situation where you would use tilt.
[...]
Strongly agree with the first sentence, but not so much with the second.

If at all I would use tilt in order to make sure both eyes are in focus. I wouldnt care about the torso, though.

I never said there's NO use for movements.... just very little need when the subject and camera are positioned properly.
That means you can only photograph everything frontally. Depending upon the subject, that isnt even possible. Either way its a huge limitation.

Please re-read the very first sentence of my post.

I never said there's NO use for movements.........

Dropping off the negatives today. Should have them back this saturday

Well, in this case it was my sister

Thanks for clarifying. That does make a lot more sense!

Those 4x5 film magazines were super cool, and I'd still recommend them. I had one of the old bag-type magazines on my Graflex SLR, always worked really well and was fun to use. I don't really know why they fell out of favor. The Grafmatic was especially neat.

Most reactions

Back