4x5 budget

Atari1977

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
atari1977.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am succumbing to the allure of control large format cameras give you. I'm currently saving up for a budget of $1000. Is that enough, if not what would a good target budget be? I do know that I want a 4x5 field camera as I want to be able to take this camera to different locations. I just wanted to know what cameras and lenses(a 150mm is fine, but what brands to look for) I should look for.

4x5 field camera ? A rare specimen nowadays. Before you will talk about the price first you have to find one in good, working order. Very few made of metal or some sort of carbon fibre, most made of wood and that is a problem with used ones. Years of use and inadequate maintenance may cause deficiencies at first hard to spot. It is better to buy new one like this:
http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html
But view cameras are not that hard to transport, in closed position just a bit larger, weight just the same. Camera is not a problem, there is big tripod and a bag with film holders to carry. Possibly backpack with other stuff like spot, another lens with board, filters, dark cloth, some food and bottle of whisky. View cameras have also better developed system of movements which is mechanically simpler as there are two standards instead of standard and a back. Usually also are cheaper for the same value.
Lenses ? Nikkors, Schneiders and Roddenstocks. Check your local Craigslist. (Damn good advice, currently nothing in Atlanta. Check Toronto, just as a sample.) Do you guys have any local camera fair ? Good place to start. Ebay is the last place I think.
$1000 might be not enough.

I just picked up a Sinar F1 with lens and a bunch of film holders for like $450, right here on TPF. That's not a field camera, but it's a pretty nice piece of kit.

keh.com has a pretty good selection of lenses and some field cameras under "folding cameras" but I think your best bet is going to be to look for someone who's selling a complete setup. There's a lot of fiddly bits you kind of want: loupe, cable release, film holders, dark cloth. All this stuff will KILL you new. Used film holders can light leak, but they don't cost an arm and a leg either.

Keep in mind that some (many? all?) contemporary large format lenses with funny names like Caltar are actually re-branded Rodenstocks and the like. I have a Bender 4x5 with a Caltar 210 that's produced some work I'm happy with. If you find a kit you might be interested in, don't let a bizarre lens name turn you off -- google it first!

How far are you from Conyers? I just traded lenses with a photog there who mentioned that he had a 4x5 enlarger, and a number of 4x5 cameras he was looking to sell. I could pass on your information to him if you like. Pm me if you are intersted.

Caltar lenses have already been mentioned. These are mostly rebranded Schneider and Rodenstock lenses, originally sold by Calumet and they sell s/h for less than the equivalent Schneider or Rodenstock lens. Here are some equivalents (I hope these are correct):

Caltar-S II: Schneider Symmar-S (good)
Caltar-W II: Schneider Super Angulon (wide lens)
Caltar II-N: Rodenstock Apo Sironar-N (an excellent lens, recommended) or Grandagon N (Grandagons are wide)
caltar II-S: Rodenstock Apo Sironar-S (better than the rest, more expensive, large image circle)
Caltar II-E: Rodenstock Geronar (a budget lens, but very good for the price, smaller image circle, slightly slower at f/6.3)
Caltar S: Ilex Paragon? (OK, but older than most Caltars)

Bear in mind that there is very little real difference in the performance of these lenses. For a 150 mm I would go for the II-N or the II-E depending on what is left in your budget.

There are many other good and cheap 150 mm lenses, of course.

I have a couple of field cameras, an Ebony and a Chamonix - from the first batch of 4x5 Chamonix cameras (designated N-1). The Chamonix has very good movements for a field camera. It's also very light. Maybe look for one of those used. There are, however, some lightweight monorail cameras that don't take up much space, as timor said. For example I carry my Arca Swiss Field Compact around more often than the actual field cameras I have.

Good luck,
Helen

Don't forget film holders (also called double darkslides) and a decent tripod

Thanks for the advice everyone. I do still think I want a field camera, but I definitely will be on the lookout for used kits when I have the money raised.

In my opinion a 4x5 press camera can make a very good budget field camera. They were, after all, made to be hand held so they are certainly portable enough. They may not have all the features of classic field cameras but they are good starter cameras and will keep one busy learning the basics of large format photography for quite a while before moving up to a full fledged field camera. They are limited in terms of movements, bellows extension and, in many cases, revolving backs but then they often do have some movements and certain press cameras do have revolving backs and double extension bellows.

My favorite press cameras in this context are the Graflex Super Graphic and the Busch Pressman Model D -- both are fairly compact cameras with a fair amount of movements and they have revolving backs. The Busch also has double extension bellows. I've owned both and my favorite is the Busch, which also happens to sell for less than the Super Graphic usually. Both are rugged metal-bodied cameras.

These cameras often come with a their original 127mm to 135mm 4-element lens which is quite decent but does not have the coverage to handle camera movements so you'll probably want to look for something better in the lens department as you progress in learning large format.

The more commonly seen press cameras are the Graflex Speed and Crown Graphic models. These are sturdy wooden bodied cameras without revolving backs and are still very popular.

I did consider a press camera, but I want something with more movement than they offer, a camera that has features I can learn to use as I learn more about large format.

Last edited:
Also where's a good place to get lenses and shutters, new or used(Thanks for the Keh site amolitor[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif],[/FONT] just wanted to see if there were others)? I was looking at the Chamonix camera would basically cost about 1100 when bellows and a pack of film holders. But it's still useless without a lens and shutter of course. What kind of shutter and lens board would I need for that camera?

eBay is usually the best place - best selection and best prices if you know what you are looking for, you know what prices are and you are patient. Lensfielders, Lens & Repro (they also have an eBay store) and Igor's Camera Exchange are also worth checking.

You usually buy a lens in a shutter, and for beginners that is generally the best way. The 4x5 Chamonix takes Linhof Technika type boards - Shen Hao make good versions of them, which are widely available. I get new stuff from Badger Graphic mostly.

Thanks for the info! I think I definitely will save up for the Chamonix, looks great! I did have one other question regarding polaroid backs. Is there any film that will fit a pack back? I know Fuji makes instant film still, but it's 3.25 x 4 so not quite 4x5, but will it fit in the back?

Last edited:
There are two 4x5 holders that will take the 3.25 x 4.25 size of pack film: the Fuji PA-145 and the Polaroid 405.

Look on APUG I see some deals on there. You might be able to save some money. Lots of very knowledgeable individuals on that site who specialize in large format.

So in preparation I've been reading Ansel Adams' "The Negative" and I think a filter set might be something good to get. What is the best filter system on a large format camera and are there any sets of basic color filters out there?

Also consider processing the film. One of the best ways to do so, and easiest is with a tank that has a spool that receives 4-5 sheets of film. This would set you back a good bit. The Nikkor tanks go for 200 and up on sleeze-bay. If you wanted to go this route then the economy kit would be a thing to look out for.

On the other hand, you could always shuffle prints or use a slosh tray, thus freeing up your funds for a better camera and kit. I guess, what I am trying to say is to consider how easy you wish the ENTIRE process to be, not just at the transportation/exposure end of things. Consider it all.

Most reactions

Back