4x8 foam core board?

misol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Where would you find this? What would the approximate cost be in USD?

Thanks

Try a craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels - kids use it for science fairs.

do you want 4X8 FEET or inches?

Inches, I would look into a hobby store.

Feet I would look into an art supply or home repair like Home Depot or Lowe's.

Last edited:
Staples has the 32" x 40" foamcore in black or white. 3 packs are $22.98 or something reasonable. One of the few truths in photography: You can never have too much foamcore and it can never be too big.

Love & Bass

My dollar store sells it in posterboard size which works just fine for my baby-sized model. Also, for one dollar, I'm willing to make it work. ;)

I can look out my office window at any given moment and see thousands of pounds of the stuff. We make it :mrgreen:

Actually, not quite the stuff you guys are talking about. We make molded EPP and EPE blocks 4x8, which are sold to skive down to sheets, but it's not the paper backed EPS stuff I assume you guys are talking about.

You can get 4x8 foot sheets of EPS used for insulated house sheathing at Lowes and Home Depot (shop Lowes, support my wife :D). I think it's the Owens Corning stuff that is pink and white. The Dow brand is usually blue. Also as mentioned, the dollar store has 24x30 inch sheets of 1/4 inch foam board which is the paperbacked EPS stuff for $1. Walmart and various other stores usually have the Elmers foamboard in many colors for around $2-3. They might be a bit larger than the 24x36, maybe 36x48, I'm not sure.

It appears that EPPHobbies.com is no longer (was an affiliated site of where I work.) They sold sheets of low density molded EPP. You can search out RC flying forums for info on molded EPP sheets as the RC hobby loves the stuff for scratch building light airplanes. You'd also be supporting me because I don't know of any other company who molds the stuff other than the one I work for. We just don't sell to the general public, only large quantity distributers who then skive it down to different thicknesses and sell.

Note to self: mrrodgers is the go-to guy for foam board.

Staples has the 32" x 40" foamcore in black or white. 3 packs are $22.98 or something reasonable. One of the few truths in photography: You can never have too much foamcore and it can never be too big.

Love & Bass

I'll second this. Foamcore is a lighting directors best friend.

If you are wanting foam core to last, do not get it from hobby lobby. I used a lot of foam core in school and the hobby lobby foam core had cheaper foam and adhesive. It was a pain to cut and usually pealed apart. If you are going to get foam core I would suggest an art supplier.

If you are wanting foam core to last, do not get it from hobby lobby. I used a lot of foam core in school and the hobby lobby foam core had cheaper foam and adhesive. It was a pain to cut and usually pealed apart. If you are going to get foam core I would suggest an art supplier.
Hobby Lobby the craft store or Hobby Lobby the hobby store? This would be good as with the other hobby, RC, that paper can be a real pain in the you-know-what to peel off when you actually want to peel it off.

Edit: I didn't notice the 2nd post mentioned Hobby Lobby and mention craft store....

to be honest I only thought there was only one type of Hobby Lobby :lol:but I guess I am talking about the craft store.

Depends on what you want to make. If you want to make a nice "better bounce card", all you need is the 8.5 X 11 size, that is more than big enough. I want to make a nicer one that is black on the outside and white inside. I just bought 2 packs of 15 white and 15 black foamcore boards to make myself 3 custom DIY "bounce cards" (ok, I'll have a lot of spares... lol).

In the US or Canada, you can get the 8.5 X 11 size at Staples ("Bureau en Gros" in Quebec) or most hobby or artist's supply places. I paid $15 for the 30 pieces, but only because where I bought them ("Omer des Seres", an artist supply store chain in Quebec), they sold them in packs of 15 each. A little overkill in numbers, but I don't mind. At least this way I can experiment with different shapes and sizes and see which I like best. :)

to be honest I only thought there was only one type of Hobby Lobby :lol:but I guess I am talking about the craft store.
That's funny because for several years I've looked at the hobby store website, talked and read about it on the RC forums, and someone mentioned the craft store one day. I always thought there was only one type also, the hobby store :lol:

Hobby Lobby - The craft store

Hobby-Lobby's RC Catalog of Radio Control Models, RC Airplanes, RC Helicopters, RC Boats! - The RC hobby store

:mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back