5 Pointz

Roy Hubbard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.royhubbard.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I went to the 5 Pointz building in Long Island City, Queens this evening. I'd been hoping to take some tripod mounted photos as the sun went down. On the downside, my ball head broke in half at some undetermined point before my arrival. Definitely time to reconsider my transportation methods. On the upside, I was at least able to get a few interesting shots before losing the light at sunset. Glad to hear your thoughts.

4461756088_235a0f542c_o.jpg

4461756056_fb50d75184_o.jpg

4461755998_b01feecb0b_o.jpg

4461755944_6eecf9ee59_o.jpg

Interesting stuff. Personally I'm not a fan of the first one at all, is it HDR it just looks a bit off anyway. I think the second one would be better without the wall/post on the right The third one with the reflection is great though the legs look strange. The fourth one has a nice strong diagonal, but I don't think the subject itself does enough to hold the eye.

Thanks SilverUser!

Tannachy, thanks for sharing your thoughts. I went into the first photo at f/5.6 @55mm. The clearer part on the right is a pillar for the 7 train, which runs above the location. I knew from the getgo it would look weird, but I just had this crazy inclination to do it and I liked how it turned out enough to post it, ha. I didn't show that one to anyone I was with at the time. :p

None of these use HDR, tone mapping or external plugins or filters. I'd planned on doing some true HDR, but without my tripod I was pretty limited in what I was able to do. The sun went down about 20 minutes after I got there.

Roy
I like your second shot, the colors really are very deep, and I like the inclusion of the gray color of the sidewalk to break it up some.

I think the reflection would be better if the garbage was not in the shot and the legs do not work either.

I like the fact that you had a plan, took a train and focused on the shot. Now if only I had as much concentration and was not so easily drawn from what I plan. :mrgreen:

Roy
I like your second shot, the colors really are very deep, and I like the inclusion of the gray color of the sidewalk to break it up some.

I think the reflection would be better if the garbage was not in the shot and the legs do not work either.

I like the fact that you had a plan, took a train and focused on the shot. Now if only I had as much concentration and was not so easily drawn from what I plan. :mrgreen:
It was either some innate artistic sensibility or an unwillingness to touch anything in that puddle that told me the garbage was profound and relevant. I'll let everyone make up their mind which :mrgreen: In either case, the legs were the shot for me. I'm a little miffed and confused as to why his reflection didn't show clearly.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts :thumbup:

I like the additional one you just posted. the constrasting textures/lines between the brick/door/window give it a neat feel. I'd kinda like to see the same shot just angled slightly down more though, a little less on top, and perhaps a small glimpse of where the building meets the sidewalk (if it could be fit in, that is). I dig the colors in #2 as well.

the other ones don't really do much for me. they're decent shots but just not my style. #3 would look better with a good, and bigger reflection, like you mentioned, but as is without the reflection, the legs are kindof distracting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back