5 Tips for When You Feel Inadequate as a Photographer

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thank you for sharing! This is a great read! I've ways suffered from 'imposter syndrome'.... It takes a lot of mental effort to not fall into that pit to where it becomes paralyzingly- but I loved the statement that "...you have to decide what really matters to you in photography....if it is a success in making great images that matter to you, then do not feel bad if you do not get the response you seek. Being a good photographer and being popular are two different beasts".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I have done a few things to try to purposefully avoid that 'inadequate' feeling. After one terrible experience I quit showing work in any organized way, I don't compete, I don't try and sell images, I don't work for money. All of these activities are attempts to earn approval from other people, to build myself up with other people's plaudits and potentially distort my natural intent to earn approval.
Wrong, I think.
I have spent a lot of time doing critiques so that I can sharpen my eye for what I think is good or bad or indifferent. So now I am satisfied that if I like a picture of my own, that's all I need.

It is nice when people like what I shoot but, tbh, I am indifferent when people dislike a shot for the very reasons I like it.

I'm a full time wedding photographer so being consistent is almost a requirement to run the business. People look at my portfolio and they want the shots in my portfolio. It can be repetitive. Whenever I feel uninspired and inadequate, I just set up something fun and shoot for myself. That has been my answer to the problem in the last 5 years. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back