5 Ugly ducklings

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My kids were fascinated and charmed by these Cygnets, kinda cute.

C&C welcomed and or pick a favourite.

cignet001.jpg

cignet002.jpg

cignet003.jpg

cignet004.jpg

cignet005.jpg

And they are sooo NOT ugly, aren't they.
I love #2, where it stetches its "wings"(-to-be!!!), how cute.
Also #3 is such an endearing portrait. And you always produce such SHARP, very well-focused photos. Amazing!

I'm really glad these turned out to be swans and not ducks. That would be pretty disappointing.

First one, too bad about the light dropoff on the tail. Was it a shadow or were you using a strobe to fill?

Composition doesn't really work for me in #2.

I would like to see #3 cropped a little lower to get more of the "s" curve of his/her neck down to the breast. The blue reflections are kind of distracting too.

4. Great, sharp shot. Love the water on the bill. The background is kinda 'meh.'

Fifth one is definitely the strongest, in my eyes. Love the small vs large of the photo and the white versus black of the cygnet and the swan.

And they are sooo NOT ugly, aren't they.
I love #2, where it stetches its "wings"(-to-be!!!), how cute.
Also #3 is such an endearing portrait. And you always produce such SHARP, very well-focused photos. Amazing!

Thanks, I always aim to have the subject as sharp as possible, to get that I almost always use 1 preselected focus point and then recompose.

I love them!

Glad you like them, thanks.

I'm really glad these turned out to be swans and not ducks. That would be pretty disappointing.

First one, too bad about the light dropoff on the tail. Was it a shadow or were you using a strobe to fill?

Composition doesn't really work for me in #2.

I would like to see #3 cropped a little lower to get more of the "s" curve of his/her neck down to the breast. The blue reflections are kind of distracting too.

4. Great, sharp shot. Love the water on the bill. The background is kinda 'meh.'

Fifth one is definitely the strongest, in my eyes. Love the small vs large of the photo and the white versus black of the cygnet and the swan.

Thanks benlonghair, all shot with natural light, the light drop off you mention is more than likely just how the down is coloured/dirty in that area, shouldnt be from any shadow, open water.

The blue reflection (the sky) has already been toned quite significantly.

Was this shot with your 300 prime? Im amazed by how sharp your photos turn out to be

Was this shot with your 300 prime? Im amazed by how sharp your photos turn out to be

Yep, no IS and handheld as well, they are razor sharp at full res as well, well these ones are, lol.

I like them! Was that all natural lighting? The first two seem like there's a bit of artificial light.

Thanks, all natural lighting, the first 2 were shot well after the cygnet ones, about the same time as the duck one in the other thread, late afternoon light (maybe 60-90 minutes before sunset), very low, and almost right behind me.

Nice work, those are some great pictures! :)

Most reactions

Back