50 1.4g Nikkor and still wanting more

Pedro_lopez

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I've finally got a prime lens for my d3300. I can move my photography past an amateur level just a little I think. Especially with the lower apertures. Only thing now is that it's left me wanting more. The quality difference of a kit lens compared to another is significant. I guess this is what they would say is the start of a fever that will probably take a while to go away. A fever for photography and the gear.

So I've been thinking what lens would be a good addition to my bag. I want to do more general people photography and street photography. while I can do it with my 18-55mm kit lens I thought I could use a bit more sharpness and quality. So I've been looking into the Dx equivalent of a 24-70 FF lens because one of my photography buddies told me that's what he did one of his photo shoots with and that it's also good in many situations. I have laid my eyes on the sigma 17-50mm f/2.8.

I'm not sure if it's better to get the 17-50 f/2.8, Or if the regular 24-70 focal length is still good on a crop sensor for most photography. I'm also open to any other suggestions on lenses. I basically already know what lenses I want for wide, macro, and portrait, but for the middle range where I can carry around on me whenever I don't have the other lenses, I'm not too sure.

.. I've been looking into the Dx equivalent of a 24-70 FF lens ..
No need. Any Nikon "F" mount lens will work on any Nikon camera with the "F" mount. So the 24-70 will work on your camera.

Your camera does not include a focusing motor in the body, so for auto focus, you will want the "S" lenses.

Another suggestion is the 85mm 1.8.

What I meant was the 1.5x crop factor, which is more versatile for the Dx.
No need to get hung up on the crop factor. That's way too much thinking. Any lens you wish to talk about will be the same focal length and field of view when mounted on either sensor.

The sensor size dictates how much of the projected image circle is captured by the sensor. When mounting an FX lens, you're only seeing the middle part of the projected image circle. Everything else is the same.

The sensor size dictates how much of the projected image circle is captured by the sensor. When mounting an FX lens, you're only seeing the middle part of the projected image circle. Everything else is the same.
The sensor size also determines the angle of view, which for most people is the major factor when deciding what focal length to use.

My choice would be the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. It is very sharp, has good VR and is a lot smaller and lighter than the 24-70mm f/2.8. Also the 17-50mm focal range is better suited to street photography on a crop body than the 24-70mm which equates to 35-105mm on a FF body

No wrong answer really. Could you rent and do a quick shoot-off?

f/2.8 is not as wide a lens aperture as f/1.4 is.
Or put another way, f/1.4 is a bigger (higher) number than f/2.8 is.

But DoF (depth-of-field) is controlled with more than just the lens aperture.
Point-of-focus distance has more effect on DoF than does lens aperture.

A shallow looking (blurred background) DoF is easier to accomplish by using a telephoto focal length (80 mm or so and up).
Telephoto focal lengths deliver a somewhat narrower field of view, and a background compression effect (magnification) that makes OOF (out-of-focus) background elements seem more OOF, compared to normal focal lengths (35 mm to about 75 mm), because the background is magnified.

A side benefit of telephoto focal lengths for people/street is that you aren't as close to people's 'personal space' and they are more relaxed and natural.

Using Telephoto Lenses

.. I've been looking into the Dx equivalent of a 24-70 FF lens ..
No need. Any Nikon "F" mount lens will work on any Nikon camera with the "F" mount. So the 24-70 will work on your camera.

While this lens will work on his camera, not every F mount lens will. Pre AI lenses and most AI lenses will not work on his camera. AF-D lenses won't auto focus. The only lenses that will work with full functionality on his camera are the AF-S G lenses. It isn't quite as simple as you make it. The D7000 series and the full frame Nikons will take all but the pre AI lenses. But even those lenses can be converted to AI. But he has a 3000 series camera.

My choice would be the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8. It is very sharp, has good VR and is a lot smaller and lighter than the 24-70mm f/2.8. Also the 17-50mm focal range is better suited to street photography on a crop body than the 24-70mm which equates to 35-105mm on a FF body
A little typo correction
The 17-50 equates to a 25.5mm - 75mm FOV on his d3300 APS-C DX camera. This is more equvalent to his existing 18-55 which is 27-83mm FOV.
A 24-70 equates to a 36 - 105mm FOV on his d3300
a 24-70 is a 24-70 on a FullFrame body.

Consider the Sigma 17-70 2.8. It's a great walking around lens and will give you more reach than the 17-50 for $100 more. And it can function as a pseudo macro lens because you can get super tight to your subject and still get accurate focus.

Yes you will quickly find yourself wanting more, better, pricier equipment. One way to stretch your $ is to buy used and refurbished gear. Just make sure you're buying from a reputable seller. Adorama, B&H and Cameta are some of my go-to online stores and I've had good luck with the quality and customer service from them - or Nikon sells refurbs directly on their website. Craigslist and Ebay are also popular but I've not used either those myself so can't personally recommend. This site and others usually have buy/sell forums - Fred Miranda has a busy buy/sell forum.

Last edited:
It isn't quite as simple as you make it.
My attempt to simplify the issue is to counteract the OP making it unnecessarily complicated.

And of course, I did tell him that he needed "S" lenses. (my second sentence, FYI)

I see that my general lack of communication skills is hampering my ability to communicate effectively.

I bought the 1.4 used from a buy or sell used app and I met the person and tried out the lens before I decided to buy it. Got it way cheaper then Five hundred new. At first I was a little worried but after My train of thought changed, I have to buy all my lenses used now to save money.

I will check out the 17-70 2.8, which I didn't even know about until you mentioned. Thanks so much. I wouldn't mind paying a little more for some extra range.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

It isn't quite as simple as you make it.
My attempt to simplify the issue is to counteract the OP making it unnecessarily complicated.

And of course, I did tell him that he needed "S" lenses. (my second sentence, FYI)

I see that my general lack of communication skills is hampering my ability to communicate effectively.
Don't worry. Your "S" identifier is technically more correct.

Technically the D3300 doesn't need only "AF-S G" lenses.

As there are a few AF-S (non G) lenses out there that will work too, such as a 28-70/2.8 D AF-S, 80-200/2.8 D AF-S, 17-35/2.8 D AF-S lens, etc; all with aperture control and AF-S focus motor in the lens.

Consider the Sigma 17-70 2.8. It's a great walking around lens and will give you more reach than the 17-50 for $100 more. And it can function as a pseudo macro lens because the you can super tight to your subject and still get accurate focus.

Just a quick question on that lens. How long does it stay at f/2.8 before it goes to a max of 4 when zooming in?

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

Back