50 mm lens HELP!

ashamee3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought a Nikon D7100 and a 50mm lens.... I absolutely love both but I am having trouble, shooting on bright days... If I have the flash off the pictures turn out too dark and if i turn the flash on then they are wayyy too bright.... I am doing prom pictures this saturday and want to use my 50mm lens... PLEASE HELP me figure out how to fix this... Camera settings, etc... I have attached a photo which is similar to what im talking about except much much brighter than this usually

Attachments

• exposure.jpg
    exposure.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 199
What are the settings for the photos you posted above? What mode are you using? Which lens is it?

What are the settings for the photos you posted above? What mode are you using? Which lens is it?

Im not at home so i took a photo off the interenet that was similar to what I am talking about, but my bright pictures are much worse than the one I attached... It's the 50mm f 1.8 lens and I believe I had camera on mode A... I need suggestions for the best settings for Saturday for prom pics

as mentioned above. we also need to know the specific make and model of lens, and also the specific make and model of flash (ie, to know if it has TTL or not, etc).
Also you camera settings - ISO, aperture, shutter speed, focusing mode, etc.

Im not at home so i took a photo off the interenet that was similar to what I am talking about, but my bright pictures are much worse than the one I attached... It's the 50mm f 1.8 lens and I believe I had camera on mode A... I need suggestions for the best settings for Saturday for prom pics

1. Please don't post images that are not your own. You may as well remove those images, a mod will do it, otherwise.
2. Please post your own image, with the EXIF data, so we can see what you've done. Without that information, we really can't help.

I am having trouble, shooting on bright days...
I'm sorry to be the one to have to break this to you, but you might have to read your user's manual.

1. You can use "green auto"
2. You can turn the control to "A" - aperture priority.
3. You can turn it to "S" - shutter priority.
4. You can use "M" - manual and use the built-in light meter.

Any of those 4 modes will give you a decent photograph if the light is just ordinary daylight.

In the case of tricky light, special conditions, or if you simply want a more professional photograph, you will need to learn some other stuff.

we need to see YOUR photos. Not someone else's single photo.

there's a plethura of reasons youre having this issue, and it's going to be hard for us to tell without knowing exactly how you took the shot and what modes you were in.

I'm new to this and I'm currently at work so I cant say what all the setting were.... Can someone just tell me the best setting to have the camera on for this particular day. I just want my childrens Prom pictures to turn out great... I have a Nikon D7100 & AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G lens

we need to see YOUR photos. Not someone else's single photo.

there's a plethura of reasons youre having this issue, and it's going to be hard for us to tell without knowing exactly how you took the shot and what modes you were in.

I will have to when I get home tonight.

We can only tell you what settings to use if you tell us how much light there will be.

Your best hope is to put the camera in P mode or Auto. See pages 36/37 & 48 of your D7100 User's Manual.

Last edited:
The big green AUTO on the mode dial. Beyond that, you'll need to actually learn how to use your camera.

There's no short cuts. There's no Cliff Notes. There's no 'super-secret magic setting' that only seasoned pros know about and use*. They use experience, training and knowledge. And those qualities only come with time.

*If there were, we'd be asking for the secret handshake.

We can only tell you what settings to use if you tell us how much light there will be.

Your best hope is to put the camera in P mode or Auto. See pages 36/37 & 48 of your D7100 User's Manual.

I will check this when I get home. I will be doing prom pictures around 3pm direct sunlight unfortunately...

The big green AUTO on the mode dial. Beyond that, you'll need to actually learn how to use your camera.

There's no short cuts. There's no Cliff Notes. There's no 'super-secret magic setting' that only seasoned pros know about and use*. They use experience, training and knowledge. And those qualities only come with time.

I understand that and I do plan to learn and practice as much as possible in my free time... Im asking for quick help now only because I want good pictures of my children this saturday. It seems as though I am bothering some of you and in that case why even respond?!? I joined a forum to talk to other people and learn more about photography.

I understand that and I do plan to learn and practice as much as possible in my free time... Im asking for quick help now only because I want good pictures of my children this saturday. It seems as though I am bothering some of you and in that case why even respond?!? I joined a forum to talk to other people and learn more about photography.
Glad you joined! And welcome! :smile:

The reason that everyone is telling you that you need to learn is because, as 480sparky said, there are no short cuts. Agree with the others, stick to auto or "P" mode until you have time to learn more about the settings you'll need.

You're asking us to condense our years of experience and somehow package it for your particular situation so you can learn it all in 2 days. Maybe it's possible for you to actually ingest, comprehend, understand and apply it all as some people are quick learners. But most people spend 2 days wrangling with the Exposure Triangle. Factors such as white balance, depth of field, backlighting, exposure compensation, high ISO/noise level relationships, understanding histograms and composition notwithstanding.

You asked for a setting. Your best bet is the big green AUTO. Anything beyond that will probably confuse and frustrate you between now and then.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back