50 mm lens questions

TiCoyote

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, here's what I understand.

A 50 mm prime lens will shoot what looks most similar to the unaided eye.

Most dSLRs (like theCanon Rebel) have an image sensor that is smaller than a 35mm film frame. Therefore, the 50 mm lens will produce an image that is "smaller" or "tighter" than a 35mm camera with a 50mm lens. It would be like looking at the same view, but through a smaller window.

On such a dSLR, the resulting image will have the same view as an 80mm lens, but it will not be a telephoto or magnified image, it will just be tighter.

Does a 50mm prime feel too tight for general shooting? Is a more wide angle lens more appropriate?

As technology improves and becomes cheaper, will more camera maufacturers put full-frame sensors on amateur and "prosumer" range cameras?

Okay, here's what I understand.

Most dSLRs (like theCanon Rebel) have an image sensor that is smaller than a 35mm film frame. Therefore, the 50 mm lens will produce an image that is "smaller" or "tighter" than a 35mm camera with a 50mm lens. It would be like looking at the same view, but through a smaller window.

On such a dSLR, the resulting image will have the same view as an 80mm lens, but it will not be a telephoto or magnified image, it will just be tighter.

Does a 50mm prime feel too tight for general shooting? Is a more wide angle lens more appropriate?

As technology improves and becomes cheaper, will more camera maufacturers put full-frame sensors on amateur and "prosumer" range cameras?

You really do not need to worry too much about the crop factors. If your camera shipped with the Kit lens 18-55mm, just change the focal length to 50mm and see for yourself. The field of view is going to be the same or very close. I think the crop factor are just for someone who used to full frame or 35mm film camera and switch to cropped sensor body, then they know what they can see if they put a 50mm lens on the camera.

There are no right or wrong here. It is a person preference. It could be tight for person A, but fine with person B.

As for the sensor size. it is hard to say what the trend is going to be. One thing though, it is cheaper for the manufacturer to make a fast lens that is designed for smaller sensor body. And the weight of the lens is going to be lighter as well.

Just to throw this out there, on most crop sensor cameras, a 35mm lens will give you (roughly) the same field of view as a 50mm on a full frame or 35mm film camera.

I believe this refers to magnification and perspective more than filed of view. Using a crop factor camera won't change the magnification or the perspective (just the field of view).

I agree with Dao;
the crop factor are just for someone who used to full frame or 35mm film camera and switch to cropped sensor body

Most reactions

New Topics

Back