50 mm

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Uselessdreamer1, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Uselessdreamer1

Uselessdreamer1 TPF Noob!

What does this lens do? looklike when shot through? I hear alot of talk about them as a 2nd lens, which i am looking for. also how much are they?

2. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    50mm are often hailed for their speed and versitile use including low light. I personally use mine for portraits and love it at a wedding reception.

3. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    50mm f1.8 = USD69.95
    50mm f1.4 = USD294.95

I LOVE my 50mm. Best for low-light work.

An example of the 50mm wide open:
    [​IMG]
    50mm@f1.4

Note: Just remember that you will have to zoom with your feet :)

Cheerio! :thumbup:

4. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A 50mm is the next thing on my photo equipment list. I just started doing portraits, and I am REALLY feeling the need for one right now. I'd highly recommend it. I already have one for my film camera, and I love it.

5. Jess

Jess TPF Noob!

This seems like such a strange thread to me. I thought 50mm was the standard lense that came with all SLR's. Lol. I avoid my 50mm because i figure it's boring and overused! :p

6. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

I believe it was the standard lense that came with my film camera, which happens to be the same cam as you have. But I it's not what comes with the D-Rebel. I can't say what comes with others.

7. Rogue Monk

Rogue Monk TPF Noob!

The 50mm lens represents an angle of view that is approximately what the eye sees. They are heralded for their low-light ability and versitility.

What image quality you get depends on the glass. My 50mm 1.8 is very nice with my d70 (amongst other things, I worry less about fall-off at the edge of the image due to reduced capture area).

Cost depends on the lens. A decent f1.8 should be fairly inexpensive, but drop to a f1.4 and the price can skyrocket (as danalec99 pointed out). Even then, the 50mm will be one of the least expensive lenses you buy.

A quick warning...beware the equivalence factor if you're shooting digital. My D70 turns this lens in a 75mm (great for portraits).

8. Uselessdreamer1

Uselessdreamer1 TPF Noob!

so the f1.8 is good, but is only not as good in lighting conditions?

9. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Ofcourse it is good for any lighting situation :).

Since the aperture number is 1.8, it lets in more light than a lens which has a aperture number of 2.8 or 4.0. Therefore helpful in low-light.

10. spike000

spike000 TPF Noob!

Some years ago Canon released a 50mm F:1.0 which I can swear to is a fantastic lense. With a depth of field limited to a minimum of 2mm you can do amazing things with it. I believe that long ago in the dark and distant past of Manual Focus lenses there was a 50mm F0.8 lense - again created by Canon that actually allowed you to see more light than the human eye allowed.

50mm is the first lense I believe anyone should have as it gives you the ability to learn the basics without being sidetracked in composition with zoom lenses - ideally - turn the autofocus and autoexposure off as well. In a few years you'll thank me when you can see whether your camera has screwed up on you!