50 posts before you can post links!

UUilliam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Recently we are getting a lot of spammers

I feel you should implant this prevention method into the user system
Meaning you need 50 posts before you can place a link in a message OR in your signature!

50 is a bit extreme I think - though the overall idea I do like the sound of (and I am sure its been suggested in the past too).
I would say 15-20 posts would be a bit closer to the ballpark - it would stop adbots and most people who spam 15-20 posts as their first posts are already going to be on the watchlist.

Also I think its about the same limit we have (or at least did have) for pm activation.

Or maybe even 50 (or some number) replies to others threads before you can start your own thread. 50 seems a little high for my reccomendation but you get the point.

what about the greetings section where people tend to make their first post?

I think capping things like that would be a bit harsh - what if you can't find any threads that interest you?

I'm a TPF Noob and was surprised there was no email confirmation requirement. I don't know what the reasoning against that is here, but the other forums I've participated in that have that requirement don't seem to get spammed.

Or maybe even 50 (or some number) replies to others threads before you can start your own thread. 50 seems a little high for my reccomendation but you get the point.
Maybe 10 ? and if you would like to start a thread it has to be approved by a mod first maybe ?

I was sort of amazed that people could list in the For Sale forum with thier very first post. Other than photography sites, I mostly visit Harley forums, and almost all of them require 30 days and some token amount of posts, before people can post in that forum.

Common sense would tell you not to buy from that person, but someone might just be taken in by some "great deal".

Anyway, I've reported a couple of spam messages in the short time I've been a member here.

J:mrgreen:

I'm a TPF Noob and was surprised there was no email confirmation requirement. I don't know what the reasoning against that is here, but the other forums I've participated in that have that requirement don't seem to get spammed.

That must have been dropped recently...

When I joined we had it.

I think the email comfirmation part was dropped when we got the new site owners - since I also had email comfirmation when I registered.
As for the sales section I think that was always an open section (I think) though again it was one which some had suggested be hidden from non-members and have restricted access - again a post limit like 10posts or more

Most reactions

New Topics

Back