500/1000mm lens for $129 - Too good to be true?

Sorry for the newbie question but are there lenses for film cameras, and lenses for digital cameras? Or can you use on each camera?

Oh and I posted this question in here rather then making a new thread.

Thanks to who ever can answer my newb question. :D

pilgrim said:
Sorry for the newbie question but are there lenses for film cameras, and lenses for digital cameras? Or can you use on each camera?

Oh and I posted this question in here rather then making a new thread.

Thanks to who ever can answer my newb question. :D

Hey Pilgrim, no question here will remain unanswered, so I'll take the first try:

The digital SLRs (ie Canon 10D, Canon 1D) accept USM lenses, the same lenses that a regular film Canon SLR uses (like EOS). So, it really depends on what kind of digital camera we are talking about. There are some that have a 'one-lens-does-all' (from WA to TELE) which cannot be removed but to which you can attach extra lenses, such as extreme WA (fish-eye).

But all things considered, lenses are the same kind and of the same quality, whether they are made for digital or for regular film use.

Also, maybe you do want to start a new thread, if you want more answers.

Hope this helps.

Stay warm... :camera:

Dimitri

Thanks alot Mitica! that pretty much answered my question.

I have been looking and looking and looking at different cameras. Right now the camera of choice is the Sigma SD9. Its more then I wanted to spend, but I really want to focus and learn more about photography and I dont want to be upgrading my camera in a few months. I am also taking a photography course in January, so I am hoping that will help me out.

A friend of mine said that his dad has a case full of old lenses that he never uses, that I would be able to buy for relatively cheap, so since the Sigma SD9 is an SLR camera the lenses should be able to work? I think ill go look at them one of these nights and ill post up on here what lenses he has, just to get some opinions or advice.

Thanks again Mitica, and anyone else who takes the time to comment.
:D

haha im really starting to think I could use my own thread soon, but I just keep putting more and more into this one....

A friend of mine said that his dad has a case full of old lenses that he never uses, that I would be able to buy for relatively cheap, so since the Sigma SD9 is an SLR camera the lenses should be able to work? I think ill go look at them one of these nights and ill post up on here what lenses he has, just to get some opinions or advice.

I seriously doubt that any such lens will fit the Sigma SD9. Each manufacturer of camera/lenses makes their own lenses with a very singular and specific mount, although there might be adapters which could convert one mount to another (i.e. Canon to Nikon). I know Sigma makes lenses with virtually every camera mount, I have two for Canon FD mount and a tele for a Pentax AF mount. Very good lenses indeed.

But in any case, I'll look forward to see your post and what lenses you might or might not be able to use with the Sigma.

Meanwhile take care,

Dimitri

A couple of things about digital cameras and lenses:

1. A lens made for a film camera will work for a digital camera of the same brand, usually (ie Canon AE lenses will fit on the 10d and Digital Rebel, etc) BUT will NOT cover the listed focal length.

For example, a 28-90 zoom would actually cover 45-145mm on a Digital Rebel. This is because the digital camera's image sensor is smaller than a 35mm negative, so the lens focal length is effectively longer. This means thatyou will need a very wide angle lens to get to a moderate wide-angle shot on a digital SLR.

2. Think twice about the Sigma digital cameras. There have been some folks on here who bought them and have found that they couldn't do certain things like long exposures (>15 seconds, such as for night photography).
Also, they are 3.4MP cameras, the lowest resolution of any digital SLR. The image sensor they use supposedly gives the equivalent of roughly 4-5MP, but most other digital SLR's are 6MP or higher.
And finally, there is no ability to shoot in JPEG mode, only in RAW, which means that you have less ability to edit your shots in the camera, but have to download to adjust your white balance, etc.

Other folks on here could give you a better comparison between the Sigma and other digital SLR's but these are the points I have picked up while studying the range of available products. I'm hoping to be able to afford one at some point, so I'm starting to do my homework.

Hope this helps.

wow, thanks alot drylnn!
I manged to understand most of what you said, and a few bits made my head hurt :?.
hmm, I have also heard a few bad things about the Sigma's, so I guess its time to look around some more :wink:
I have come to a conclusion that all I am looking for in a camera is a digital camera that can take different lenses, and has mainly manual controls, doesnt have to be completly manual. Iwant to build up a lens collection and once I know more, I could purchase a better camera body and still have all these lenses.

drlynn said:
And finally, there is no ability to shoot in JPEG mode, only in RAW, which means that you have less ability to edit your shots in the camera, but have to download to adjust your white balance, etc.
Some consider that a nice feature. One of the other things it does not offer is anti-aliasing which I would prefer as well. This camera and sensor still needs more r&d but I believe it to be a pioneer as far as sensors go. Here you can see how with half the megapixels you get a sharper image. Some people forget that photography, for the most part, is the print. When it comes down to it, its more than just megapixels that make a nice print.
White balance and softening can happen quite easily in photshop, psp, gimp, etc...

I'm excited to see their booth at PMA's. I'm sure they'll have the SD10 on display.

To the original question regarding the SD9
I don't really recommend the SD9 because it's not there yet. I think right now canon or nikon would be a better choice depending on if you already have lenses that fit. I suggest getting prints made of samples from the cameras that interest you. Think about what things you want to do and find the camera that fits you. Some are faster as far as images/sec for applications such as photojournalism. There is no one camera that fits everyone.

lol, a Matsukov sigma.

fixed focal ratio and lenght, manual focus, primary mirror with secondary lens, and a correcting lens in front. I use an MTO, a russian matsukov-type like this, in astrophotograpy.
F/8 in really NOT BAD for a mak like this, my MTO is F10.. but color aberration and coma correction at the edges must be considered.. A nice, cheap toy, not for everyday use ;)

Yep, the search function definitely works around here.

Most reactions

Back