500CM

Bungstave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was given a 500CM and now the rear curtain(shutter) doesn't close, partially closes, or when it closes the blades don't meet. Any suggestions other than professional service. Can I still use the body by inserting the dark slide after each shot?

If you really plan on using the camera then best to have it serviced. As you haven't had the camera long there could be other issues as well.

Send it to David Odess and he'll get it working again. It's an old enough camera to have congealed lubricant, and that's probably what it is. That was the case with my 500EL/M.

The old mechanical cameras used grease as a lubricant ... as the Appleton Guy noted, over time grease will dry out ... or dry up ... whichever is appropriate.

The old mechanical cameras used grease as a lubricant ... as the Appleton Guy noted, over time grease will dry out ... or dry up ... whichever is appropriate.
Thanks for all the info. I have had this camera for over a year then I gave to my son, a professional photog. he had it for a year and then this problem popped up so he gave it back to me. But he gave it to me in the first place so i can't gripe. Nex week its going to the shop.

If it is grease, it should be a relatively easy fix. In the old film only days I had to have the liquid lubricants (grease) removed and replaced with dry lubricants (graphite) when I was shooting above the arctic circle and the camera repair guy didn't even blink.

Yeah, David Odess is the man with this stuff. I can't tell you how many cameras I've revived with a little lighter fluid and some new lubricant. Lighter fluid dissolves the old grease and lighter lubricants work splendidly. I use gun lube, but honestly, on this camera, this is not a DIY project I would handle myself.

Most reactions

Back