500D to 50D.. Should I?

ssnxp

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently bought the 500D (T1i) and I like it. However, I love the feel of the 50D. Is the difference in quality worth paying about $400 more?

99% of people I've talked to would agree that the 50D is far better, but is it $400 better? What do you think?

uh yes...

Magnesium Alloy body compared to plastic body, Deifnately!
that isn't the only pro however.
There is also Resolution (MP)
and a few more!

Last edited:
Dang. So you think upgrading the 500D to the 50D is more worth it than spending that money on a battery grip, battery, and a good lens? Because that's what I was going to do with the $400 otherwise.

Dang. So you think upgrading the 500D to the 50D is more worth it than spending that money on a battery grip, battery, and a good lens? Because that's what I was going to do with the $400 otherwise.
Well.. it is up to you really.

The 500D is more than capable than what you need just now, however the 50D has a better sensor and has a lot of good assets if you decide you would like to shoot with high ISO then the 50D is possible more aplicable than the 500D as it will have better HIGH iso performance

Thanks for the input! I'll really be thinking about it over the next few days.. I'm headed to the beach now to see if I can get some pictures of the meteor shower. Doubt it, but I'll try.

Ummm...a 'good' lens for $400, after buying a grip and battery? So what a good lens for $2-300??? NOT.

The lens and the person pressing the shutter release is more imporant than 50/500 debates.

Ummm...a 'good' lens for $400, after buying a grip and battery? So what a good lens for $2-300??? NOT.

I assumed I would be moving up to the $300msrp EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. I thought that would be a good choice for a second lens, but I guess not. As I stated, I just got this camera; This is the beginners' forum.

The lens and the person pressing the shutter release is more imporant than 50/500 debates.

Thank you.

It is really a personal choice. Other people say it worth the extra $400, but it maybe not for you.

If I am in a tight budget, I will not spend the extra money for the body. Of course, if I am planning to add more photo gears very soon, it is a different story.

What can you get with the extra $400? For me, I will spend it on a used flash and lens.

There are various lenses out there at varying prices for varying photo styles and purposes.

The 55-250 is an entry level zoom lens. Its a good one, don't get me wrong, but its not a professional lens. If you don't have a zoom, this is a good zoom to get. Better yet is the 70-300. Better than that are the 70-200 f/4 and f/2.8 IS. Its all relative.

Personally, I'd go with the 50D over the 500D. The better high ISO, the better construction, LCD, mp,... its just a better camera. It depends on the photography you are doing. For some, the 500D is enough. If you are new, still learning, plan on shooting portraits of friends and the city, then I would think the 500D is enough and I would go with the 55-250 and grip.

By next year, when you might want to upgrade, you can then look at the 50Ds which will be way cheaper.

Instead of the 50D, maybe look into a used 40D. With the new 7D out, i'm seeing more and more 40Ds on the used market.

Keep in mind that in photography, specially when you are starting out, there are so many things out there that are better. And until you can put aside $7500 to buy a camera and lenses, there will be something technically better. If you get the 50D, then there is the 7D...and the 5D...and the 5D Mk II...and now the 1D Mk IV... there is always something more.-

Juza Nature Photography

don't look at the lables and try to work out which are taken with a 350D, 20D and 1D because if you can you're cheating ;)
The similarities between each setup are a good photographer and pro end glass on each camera. The camera just acts as a recording unit, the lens and photographer have far greater impact on what you get from the setup. Of course better bodies do have a lot of advantages, but I would put your money and save towards some really good glass first as it will make a far bigger difference.
Also with a new camera body all you can do is take the same shots in a wider variety of situations (mostly just in dimmer lighting as you push ISO a little higher) whilst a new lens can open up whole new ares (wide angle work/telephoto/macro)

So what a good lens for $2-300??? NOT.

Now I know the OP was pondering a Zoom lens, but Canon makes a sub-$100 lens that is not only frequently recommended, but considered 'good' by just about everyone (build quality aside).

uh yes...

Magnesium Alloy body compared to plastic body, Deifnately!
that isn't the only pro however.
There is also Resolution (MP)
and a few more!

There are various lenses out there at varying prices for varying photo styles and purposes.

The 55-250 is an entry level zoom lens. Its a good one, don't get me wrong, but its not a professional lens. If you don't have a zoom, this is a good zoom to get. Better yet is the 70-300. Better than that are the 70-200 f/4 and f/2.8 IS. Its all relative.

Personally, I'd go with the 50D over the 500D. The better high ISO, the better construction, LCD, mp,... its just a better camera. It depends on the photography you are doing. For some, the 500D is enough. If you are new, still learning, plan on shooting portraits of friends and the city, then I would think the 500D is enough and I would go with the 55-250 and grip.

By next year, when you might want to upgrade, you can then look at the 50Ds which will be way cheaper.

Instead of the 50D, maybe look into a used 40D. With the new 7D out, i'm seeing more and more 40Ds on the used market.

Keep in mind that in photography, specially when you are starting out, there are so many things out there that are better. And until you can put aside $7500 to buy a camera and lenses, there will be something technically better. If you get the 50D, then there is the 7D...and the 5D...and the 5D Mk II...and now the 1D Mk IV... there is always something more.-

Srsly folks. Why is the 50D sensor better and IQ? It has the same sensor The resolution is the exact same, IQ, ISO noise, and anything related to image quality should be almost the exact same. Google it.

Here's dxomark.com ratings. One got a 62.5 and one got a 62.9. Manufacturing tolerances maybe?

Compare cameras

What do you feel you will gain by upgrading? Is the hope you will improve your photography and your images?

I'm sure it's not just ergonomics driving this decision. I'm pretty sure it's the same issue we all deal with... we like the things we don't have and wonder what we're missing out on. :) Ask me how I know. :D

If that's what you're trying to accomplish (improving your photography), forget about spending $400 on another body. The T1i is a fine body and a very-very capable body. If you do nothing but change bodies, you're going to find your shots look identical.

Spend the money on good glass. Get a 580EXII flash. Get something that will actually improve or expand your abilities. A new body, at the point you're currently at, won't do anything for you in terms of improving your work.

Look at the shots in this post: LINK

Those were taken with a Nikon D40. That's the lowest camera on the Nikon ladder. It has just 3 auto-focus points... and look at those action shots. Those are print worthy images IMHO and all from a camera many here would tell you isn't worthy of sports photography.

Srsly folks. Why is the 50D sensor better and IQ? It has the same sensor The resolution is the exact same, IQ, ISO noise, and anything related to image quality should be almost the exact same. Google it.

Here's dxomark.com ratings. One got a 62.5 and one got a 62.9. Manufacturing tolerances maybe?

Compare cameras
I would also add that the 30 point spread in terms of ISO performance on the DXO ratings isn't even enough of a difference to be visible by the human eye. They perform, for all practical purposes, identically across the board.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back