50D for $800? Yay or nay

Jewny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My friend is offering up his 50D with a 50mm f1.8 and a 17-50mm f2.8-4.5 for $800. For my first DSLR would this be a good deal, or should I buy something else (if so, what)?

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

What are the lens specifics? Canon 50 1.8? Am not aware of a "17-50mm f2.8-4.5"

You can buy a 50D Body for about $350.
If you are referring to the Canon EF 50 mm F/1.8 II, it can be purchased new for slightly over $100.

Um, I don't know. so if I shouldn't get this what camera would you suggest?

Without more info on the "17-50mm f2.8-4.5" lens, I wouldnt really want to provide advice as far as if it is a good deal or not.
However, if it were me, and all the info I had was what you provided, I would say that $800 is too much, IMHO.

Ok, then what camera should I be buying for around that price?

quickly looking on ebay, $350 seems optimistic, and closer to $450-600 more common. From the specifications, though, the 50D looks pretty compelling. I think sticking to a 50D and spending another $300 on a lens might be a good option.

Thats a difficult question to answer. There are many cameras that can be purchased in that price range, both new and used.
You can buy a new Canon EOS Rebel T2i with an 18-55mm kit lens for $649.
You could offer the seller of the 50D less money and see if they will take it.
Check Amazon for used DSLR's.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I would very much not recommend a new, entry level DSLR over a slightly older midrange model. The 50D has a pentaprism, as opposed to a pentamirror. This will be a significant drawback once the honeymoon phase ends.

quickly looking on ebay, $350 seems optimistic, and closer to $450-600 more common. From the specifications, though, the 50D looks pretty compelling. I think sticking to a 50D and spending another $300 on a lens might be a good option.
I somewhat agree, hence the "search for used" option.
The moral of my point was that there are many ways the OP can go and be a better deal that the one asked about.

I have also been looking at the T3i, would that one be good for starting out?

They are certainly entry level. But there a a lot of people on this forum that have them. Maybe someone will give you their reponse. I have never used one so cant give an honest answer.

Ok, I'll just wait for a response from one of them ;)

I have also been looking at the T3i, would that one be good for starting out?
Arguably best entry level dslr from Canon. It is on sale at Costco for $880 plus tax. It includes the usual 18-55mm kit lens plus 55-250mm telephoto and bag. Add a 50 mm prime later on if you have the budget and you're good. AFAIK, it has the same sensor as the T2i, 50D and 60D and possibly the 7D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back