50D for $800? Yay or nay

lol. if the lens is new for $100 then they'll sell used for about $50, but it's very typical to see the 50D sell for $650 as well.

When hugh says it's a cheap plastic lens, he means the housing and mount is plastic, not the elements. In other words, just don't drop it lens-first, otherwise you might need to get a new $50 50/1.8.

I think you're splitting hairs at this point. You might be able to find a good deal with some looking around, but prob not a significantly better deal. My only other advise would be to buy the lens and body separate.

The Canon 50mm F1.8 sells new for about $100 NEW and is 100% plastic (besides the lens). Some say it has a nice bokeh BUT, it is a cheap plastice lens.

I have used that lens with my cousin's 50D. And though it may be plastic, it is a pretty decent lens for it's price range. It is cheap on price but not necessarily in performance in its class. (Let's not use the 50mm f/1.4 USM nor the f/1.2 L USM - no comparison at all - used this also from my other cousin who's a pro). All said, it is a good inexpensive prime lens.

OK, so I should take this deal as soon as I get the money?!

It would be good if we can get the exact models of the lenses. The 50mm I am guessing is the f/1.8 and the Sigma the DC model which sells for US$400. But it is also possible that it may be the Sigma 18-50mm which goes for $200. So we are guessing about the model and value of the second lens. Without that we cannot really ascertain that it's a good deal or a fair deal. Besides, it's nice to know exactly what you are buying. ;)

i think that for $800.00 you really aren't getting a "steal" you can easily get a good bargain on here, POTN or FredMiranda if you do your homework. asking "what kind of camera should I get" will get you nowhere here. learn from the forum and see what is out there.

what are you shooting? action? stills? video?

do you need to make enlargments? do you need something with a high MP count or can you do fine with low?

what kind of things are you shooting? flowers? people? faces? weddings? cars? moving cars? sports?

all these questions lead to different setups and combinations.

there is no "Magic Bullet" camera and lens and it also depends how much you want to dive in. I went in thinking oh, i only need a camera with a decent lens... I just bought a new lens, then another, then another... its addictive but you need to know what you want to do first. good luck!

I think 50D is one of the best cameras canon has released in the recent years. I mean for the price, it was so good, they had to nerf it down so hard and branch it into a plastic 60D and metal 7D. I'd argue that 7D is really what 60D should have been if it followed its original heritage, and considering 7D is one of the best cameras Canon has made, that puts 50D really high up.

If I didn't care about video recording, I would probably use 50D instead of any "t*i" camera even though the later models will probably have better iso performance.

High ISO always is going to look like garbage, it's what "high ISO" means that changes, and I practice changes more slowly than it appears.

sovietdoc said:
I think 50D is one of the best cameras canon has released in the recent years. I mean for the price, it was so good, they had to nerf it down so hard and branch it into a plastic 60D and metal 7D. I'd argue that 7D is really what 60D should have been if it followed its original heritage, and considering 7D is one of the best cameras Canon has made, that puts 50D really high up.

If I didn't care about video recording, I would probably use 50D instead of any "t*i" camera even though the later models will probably have better iso performance.

50d can actually do video with magic lantern. Just something to consider

The 50 is indeed plastic and it's not to be taken for granted. The image quality from that cheap lens is better than from the 1.4 lines that's four times a much. Sigma lenses are great as well. The Sigma 18-50 runs about $200 from amazon, B&H or Adorama. So you're basically paying full price for the two lenses and $500 for the 50D. You're not getting a great deal but paying for what the value is. If you friend wants to sell it offer $650 to $700 for the bundle.

The 50D is an awesome camera that was replaced by the 7D. Then the 50 upgraded to the 60D. Iso limits are better on the T3 or T4. But the 50D is a better build. Has a good focus system and some other great features over the Rebel models. You won't go wrong no matter what you get. If you think you might enjoy shooting more action stuff then the 50D is the way to go with the better AF system. If you want video then a Rebel or 60D is the right direction.

Good luck!!!

Just going to say I love my T3i. I bought mine new, and it came with the typical kit lenses, and the 50mm 1.8. I love the IQ it can get, especially for the price. And the video it records isn't half bad either.

Some of what I'm saying may have already been said- didn't read everyone's answer on here but I started on a t2i when they first came out and now have a 50D looking to snag a mkii or a 7d - haven't decided yet. It all really depends what you're going for. If you are only photography I'd say a 50D over the rebel series. Or even the 60D depending your budget. My 50D has a 17-40 f4L on it - a decent piece of glass. If you want to be able to do video then the 50 won't work for you. But it's a great camera, high speed shutter, fast focusing and lots of focus points - I think the 60 might have more, not sure on that. But just remember, the camera will not make you an outstanding photographer, that comes from you - and your editing skills ;)

- add on to my post.. The build and feel of any D series is way better than the Rebels. Rebels are for shooting your family at Disney World, D series you can do that, but also shoot something pro :) Ok I'm done.. Haha

there is some software you can get that will allow the 50D to record video.

daarksun said:
there is some software you can get that will allow the 50D to record video.

Haha yes there is, it's sort of like "jailbreaking" it. It's not recommended and not really perfected. There is risk of screwing it up, you're better off not doing it and just getting a cam that can shoot video.

^^ as far as I understood it, this isn't true at all. You put the software on a memory card and if you take the memory card out then the software no longer has any effect. Can you cite any reference that it can cause permanent damage?

I kind of doubt it, you're not writing anything to firmware, only instructing the camera at boot time to unlock features already present.

However, that said, while I think that this is fine and dandy to play with as a curiosity, if you really want video you should probably get one with the feature supported for no other reason than it might be more reliable, better integrated and better documented.

unpopular said:
^^ as far as I understood it, this isn't true at all. You put the software on a memory card and if you take the memory card out then the software no longer has any effect. Can you cite any reference that it can cause permanent damage?

I kind of doubt it, you're not writing anything to firmware, only instructing the camera at boot time to unlock features already present.

However, that said, while I think that this is fine and dandy to play with as a curiosity, if you really want video you should probably get one with the feature supported for no other reason than it might be more reliable, better integrated and better documented.

That's not what I read, I read it changes your firmware. I have no clue where I saw it, just came up on it one day.. But either way - like I and you said, the OP should just get a cam that can do video if that is something he needs.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back