50D or 5DMKII

LoganJ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking at replacing my Rebel XT. I've been using the kit lenses for over 2 years now and am ready to purchase better equipment. I'll be inheriting a Canon 24-105mm L and a Canon 70-200mm L f/4. I shoot mostly landscapes (day time and evening), but want to get into macro soon. Would I be benefiting any more from getting a 5DMKII over the 50D? I know the 5D has a FF sensor and the 50D has a 1.6 crop factor.

Thanks.

Yes you would be gaining alot in going full frame. Since used equipment isn't a problem, i'd also look into an original 5D, they're up for less then $1500 on Portland's craigslist, that's a STEAL for full frame.

5D - the full-frame makes a difference when trying to capture wide landscapes.

I'll be inheriting a Canon 24-105mm L and a Canon 70-200mm L f/4.

I have heard rumours, but never thought that I would oneday meet one who would kill for L ;)

Anyway I think the 5DM2 is your best bet. Full frame for landscaping is perfect since you can get so much more into the shot.
With macro its a little more complex - you will gain additional frame space, which I personally fine very important - since framing small bugs can be tricky to get the whole bug into a shot. Due to the loss of crop factor you will though be shooting with reduced depth of field (equivalent to 1 fstop's worth of loss) but the 5DM2 has good high ISO control, so a small ISO boost with a smaller aperture and you have gained back that lost depth of field.

I personally would go for the 5DM2 - and I tend to do mostly wildlife and macro, the added shooting space combined with video is something that I really want to have (yes video is a consideration - I know quite a few who are interested in using video for macro and wildlife work)

this might sell you on the 5DM2:
http://www.vimeo.com/1937581

Wow! Nice video!

Thanks everyone.... Looks like I will hold off on the 50D and hope I can get a 5D MarkII when it comes out... Even though it is pretty much sold out. Maybe by the end of the year :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back