50D or T1i?

jessieshungry

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jessieshungry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm currently shooting with the XTi and thinking about getting a new camera. Should I get the 50D or T1i? The only reason I'm interested in the T1i is because it shoots HD video. I want to get into video but nothing too serious, and having the video built into my DSLR would be ideal. I'm assuming the 50D is more on a professional level, so it would make sense to go to that from an XTi, right? The T1i seems to have all the same specs as the 50D, however.

What do you guys think? Anyone own either of these cameras? How do you feel about them?

Go with the T1i for the video. If you would rather have a semi-pro body get a used 40D for less than the 50D. Compare the 40D to the 50D and unless you want to blow up bigger photos the features between the two are almost the same.

I want to get into video
If you want to get into video, then buy a video camera, not a photo camera. Otherwise, 50D all the way. :drool:

That's the only reason why I'm on the fence with the T1i, I have no desire to seriously get into video and buy a separate camera for it, you know what I mean? It would just be ideal to only need one camera when I walk around. But then again, I may decide to get into video more later on after getting the camera...ah, decisions decisions.

The control over depth of field when you use a decent DSLR over an average video camera is day and night. A word on the T1i's video, 1080p is only 20fps, so fast motion is jerky. I usually use 720p. 24fps and very fluid.

I just sold my XTI with a view to upgrading my camera. Funny I hadnt even considered the T1i. I looked at the 40D, 50D and 2nd hand 5D (mark 1) and have decided on the 50D. The T1i has video and its lighter but from everysingle other aspect it is the lesser camera.

You also say the specs are the same but this is not the case. Google 50D Vs T1i to get a run down.

Ultimately both cameras will offer great image quality. You prob need to weigh up your need for video vs the extra specs of the 50D.

I just sold my XTI with a view to upgrading my camera. Funny I hadnt even considered the T1i. I looked at the 40D, 50D and 2nd hand 5D (mark 1) and have decided on the 50D. The T1i has video and its lighter but from everysingle other aspect it is the lesser camera.

You also say the specs are the same but this is not the case. Google 50D Vs T1i to get a run down.

Ultimately both cameras will offer great image quality. You prob need to weigh up your need for video vs the extra specs of the 50D.

Great insight, thank you. When I was going back from the specs on Amazon, a lot of them seemed similar, but I'll definitely google it. If the T1i is overall poorer than the 50D in terms of photography, I suppose I've made my decision.
:)

More opinions welcome! I really appreciate everyone's input.

There's been many MANY essays and articles with examples of the same shot taken with good glass on a wide range of cameras and the bottom line is... the body is the least important consideration compared to photographer skill and the lenses.

Interesting concept, never really thought about it that way. Not that I've always felt the body is what makes a photographer a photographer, obviously they need the eye for it. I see you use a T1i, do you like it?

It's great for my needs. I'm not a pro photog nor am likely to become one, but gives me the results I need.

I'm struggling with the exact same dilemna. I haven't made up my mind yet, but i'm leaning towards the 50d. Ultimately, it comes down to a very few minor factors.

1. I really like the video aspect of the rebel t, but can definitely live without it.

2. The 50d is built better, I put my equip. through hell, and I don't want to worry about it.

3. Faster frames per second. I'm also moving up to a 100-400L and I want to shoot more wildlife in motion, particularly birds, so the extra speed will be a must.

That said, I don't think i'd be disappointed with either, from what i've read, both offer good image quality and similar features, except for those I mention above.

I really considered the 7D, but for the extra price, I can add another very nice lens to my bag. I don't think video and 3 extra megapixels is worth 800 bucks.

Last edited:
I still think a used 40D is a better deal than a new 50D. Other than megapixels what does the 50D have above it? Same digic processor, the 40D is faster on FPS, both have 3" LCDs, both have live view, they have the same body, neither have video... you could easily pickup a 40D for $650. Has anyone compared the noise on the 40D to the 50D? Same sensor size, but more pixels often results in more noise.

I still think a used 40D is a better deal than a new 50D. ...Has anyone compared the noise on the 40D to the 50D? Same sensor size, but more pixels often results in more noise.
As a physicist/engineer, I tend to research tech things before purchasing. So, when I purchased my 50D last year I also considered the 40D (and the Nikon D300). And as a 50D purchaser/owner I therefore must admit to prejudice, but...

As pointed out, both cameras share the same basic body design, viewfinder, 9-point AF, and both use the same external accessories like battery grip and wireless flash transmitter.

Continuous shooting is close enough to be a wash (IMO) at 6.3 fps on the 50D vice 6.5fps on the 40D. The improved processor speed on the 50D allows it to capture more images in longer bursts (JPEGs) when equipped with a UDMA memory card.

50D's pixel count is 15.1 Mpixels to the 40D’s 10.1. While the 40D has better high ISO noise performance on a pixel to pixel basis, once printed and/or downsized for the web, the 50D's final product is superior. As long as the final noise value is not degraded, more pixels are always the better choice for improved perception of image sharpness (technically speaking - up until slightly past the airy disk limit anyway).

The max ISO value for the 50D has boosted from 3200 ISO to 12,800 ISO, although the high end is of limited use (probably only in a news sense, not artistically).

The 50D supports in-camera correction of vignetting (on jpegs), and after the fact fix of RAW images in software (Canon's DPP).

The 40D lacks micro AF adjustment of lenses - a feature only on the 50D & above (so far).

The 50D’s has 640x480 pixels to the 40D’s 320x240. This allows for better use in Live View focusing (and IMO, better chimping).

The 50D has HDMI output for connection to a High Definition display - which works for playback of still images and "live" Live View. While I do not know the limitations, it is possible to capture the live view output and thus use the 50D as a very crude (probably studio only) video machine.

If you value these differences, then it’s worth spending the $$ for a 50D over the 40D.

If video is the feature you want to get, T1i for sure. If you want to upgrade the DSLR camera for taking photos, of course 50D. I do not think jumping from XTi to T1i is an upgrade (still picture photography wise)

Don't forget about better lenses. (if you are still using the kit lens only)

I have a 40D with a XTi as a backup. Holding a 40D with a grip makes photo takings more enjoyable than holding a XTi, especially I have big hands.

Edited:
Personally, I think those DSLR camera that offer video feature is great. I would rather buy a consumer grade DSLR with video feature than a regular consumer grade Video camera. The fact that I can record video with different lenses that i have. Create a video of a person with nice blur background is hard for a regular consumer grade video camera. But I can do that if I have a DSLR camera that can record video and pair it with a 85mm F/1.8 lens. Making a video with my macro lens or ultra wide angle lens are also possible.

Last edited:
T1i has a better sensor, better processor, a MUCH better LCD screen and enough other features to warrant it as an upgrade... but you can, of course, take good pictures on either.

Most reactions

Back