50D or T1i?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by jessieshungry, Nov 12, 2009.

1. jessieshungry

jessieshungry TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm currently shooting with the XTi and thinking about getting a new camera. Should I get the 50D or T1i? The only reason I'm interested in the T1i is because it shoots HD video. I want to get into video but nothing too serious, and having the video built into my DSLR would be ideal. I'm assuming the 50D is more on a professional level, so it would make sense to go to that from an XTi, right? The T1i seems to have all the same specs as the 50D, however.

What do you guys think? Anyone own either of these cameras? How do you feel about them?

2. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you want to get into video, then buy a video camera, not a photo camera. Otherwise, 50D all the way. :drool:

3. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Go with the T1i for the video. If you would rather have a semi-pro body get a used 40D for less than the 50D. Compare the 40D to the 50D and unless you want to blow up bigger photos the features between the two are almost the same.

4. jessieshungry

jessieshungry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's the only reason why I'm on the fence with the T1i, I have no desire to seriously get into video and buy a separate camera for it, you know what I mean? It would just be ideal to only need one camera when I walk around. But then again, I may decide to get into video more later on after getting the camera...ah, decisions decisions.

5. DennyCrane

DennyCrane No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The control over depth of field when you use a decent DSLR over an average video camera is day and night. A word on the T1i's video, 1080p is only 20fps, so fast motion is jerky. I usually use 720p. 24fps and very fluid.

6. Tighearnach

Tighearnach TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I just sold my XTI with a view to upgrading my camera. Funny I hadnt even considered the T1i. I looked at the 40D, 50D and 2nd hand 5D (mark 1) and have decided on the 50D. The T1i has video and its lighter but from everysingle other aspect it is the lesser camera.

You also say the specs are the same but this is not the case. Google 50D Vs T1i to get a run down.

Ultimately both cameras will offer great image quality. You prob need to weigh up your need for video vs the extra specs of the 50D.

7. jessieshungry

jessieshungry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Great insight, thank you. When I was going back from the specs on Amazon, a lot of them seemed similar, but I'll definitely google it. If the T1i is overall poorer than the 50D in terms of photography, I suppose I've made my decision.
    :)

More opinions welcome! I really appreciate everyone's input.

8. DennyCrane

Photos OK to edit
    There's been many MANY essays and articles with examples of the same shot taken with good glass on a wide range of cameras and the bottom line is... the body is the least important consideration compared to photographer skill and the lenses.

9. jessieshungry

jessieshungry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Interesting concept, never really thought about it that way. Not that I've always felt the body is what makes a photographer a photographer, obviously they need the eye for it. I see you use a T1i, do you like it?

10. DennyCrane

Photos OK to edit
    It's great for my needs. I'm not a pro photog nor am likely to become one, but gives me the results I need.

11. pugnacious33

pugnacious33 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm struggling with the exact same dilemna. I haven't made up my mind yet, but i'm leaning towards the 50d. Ultimately, it comes down to a very few minor factors.

1. I really like the video aspect of the rebel t, but can definitely live without it.

2. The 50d is built better, I put my equip. through hell, and I don't want to worry about it.

3. Faster frames per second. I'm also moving up to a 100-400L and I want to shoot more wildlife in motion, particularly birds, so the extra speed will be a must.

That said, I don't think i'd be disappointed with either, from what i've read, both offer good image quality and similar features, except for those I mention above.

I really considered the 7D, but for the extra price, I can add another very nice lens to my bag. I don't think video and 3 extra megapixels is worth 800 bucks.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  12. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I still think a used 40D is a better deal than a new 50D. Other than megapixels what does the 50D have above it? Same digic processor, the 40D is faster on FPS, both have 3" LCDs, both have live view, they have the same body, neither have video... you could easily pickup a 40D for $650. Has anyone compared the noise on the 40D to the 50D? Same sensor size, but more pixels often results in more noise.