50D - Overlooked?

keith204

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone seen the 50D's high ISO shots? They're real nice. 6400 looks a good bit better than 3200 on my 40D. One extra stop of light would let me do so much more at the racetrack.

I must say, they took a good step up here with DigicIV

I've seen a couple ISO 6400 shots from it and they do look pretty good. The 12800 shots however, were getting pretty bad.

What makes you think it's been overlooked?

Had my budget allowed, that was the camera I wanted most price for performance wise.

I took a few test shots with it and must say that the IQ is on par with the 5D. Pbase has side to side comparisons of 50D shots and 5D images. But i found my shots actually came out better than the ones posted. I found ISO 3200 on the 50D very usable. And I am a pixel-peeper. If not for the AF system, I would get it over the 1D Mark III that I am set on. For now....

yeah, I've been saving for the 5DmkII for awhile, so I totally overlooked the 50D. Today I had to force myself to hit the "clear cart" button at B&H, telling myself "just wait, the 5DMKII will be sweeter".

Honestly, the video on the 5DmkII is a huge selling point for me. If it hadn't been for that, a 50D would be on its way.

Today I had to force myself to hit the "clear cart" button at B&H

Man I just did the same thing, but my cart had a 40D and now has a 50D. I I think that extra stop will come in very handy for about $500 more. Although I think that my next paycheck is becoming a car rather than a camera, maybe next month.

I have to say that I was not all that happy with my 50D (upgrade from 30D) until Adobe released the final Camera RAW 4.6. Now I couldn't be happier with it, I have never been a fan of in camera JPEG's so being able to finally work with RAW files again is a great relief. I tried using DPP that came with the 50D but Canon's software is as always just horrible.

Anyways, I'm happy with the 50D now and don't regret upgrading. It is very nice to have the higher ISO options for when those situations arise, although where ever possible I still try and stay at 100 just out of habit :)

Regards,
Peter Witham

Most reactions

Back