? 50d purchased w/missing lens & live view?

natc143

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share my horrible experience with a vendor. I ordered a canon 50d as a backup to my 5dmii. I received the delivery today; however, the lens was not included in the box, only the camera and other contents were included (in a box clearly labelled kit 18-200). I sent a note to the company and attached two pictures of the box, along with all the full contents displayed on my table. I was concerned that part of the contents within the box was missing, specifically the lens which came with this kit. I wrote a note, hoping this vendor would remedy the problem. After further inspection of the camera, I have found another major problem. I was looking through the contents and tried to take a few pictures with one of my lenses. This canon 50d does NOT have the live view mode listed in the menu. The button is located on the body, but when I go into the menu settings, it should be listed right under sensor cleaning like it did on the 50d my colleague uses, but the option does not even exist anywhere on this menu. There is clearly a major problem with this camera; beyond the box coming with missing contents this has major faults in manufacturing.

I'm in shock, but GLAD I purchased it on my amex which will give me a full refund. I am just in awe that such a company exists. Abe's of Maine (located in NJ) had mixed reviews on resellerratings.com. I see tonight that the reviews should cause buyers to run the other way.

I cant believe this... and wanted to share my story with everyone. Thank goodness for amex!!!

interesting:
Abe's of Maine - abesofmaine.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
some of the responces sound like switch and bait but it seems that they must have some more friendly sales staff than others since most people seem to be listing them as mildly annoying rather than full out scam.
It will be interesting to hear the responce from the company to your communication though I am going to guess that htey say the lens would have cost you extra (and been way overpriced) if their reviews are anything to go by.

yeah, I don't know the situation, but many times places like that will take the lens out and sell it separately. If you buy the body only it may come in a box marked to come with a lens, but all you'll get is the body.

as far as the live view thing, I highly doubt they would have gone to any sort of trouble to do that, sounds a little unlikely to me as I don't know how they would have saved money unless it's not a 50d which I'm sure it is.

Bait-n-switch is one thing, but coming up with a counterfeit camera is crazy!

Tip for buying cameras: you will very, very rarely find legitimate camera gear prices lower than B & H or Adorama. If it is significantly cheaper than these places something is fishy!

hmm, live view missing...I have tried pushing the button I thought was for live view on my 50D, and it never came up. I assumed i remembered incorrectly and never really cared enough to try to figure out how to get the live view, i'll have to check that out when i get home...

As Nate said below, the company called me and did state they often sell/remove the lens for orders as necessary. They were nice when they returned my call today. I was glad... they also walked me through the settings for live view. I needed to put my camera in a-dep mode, then I was able to view the live view settings. Oops...

I saved about $200-$300, but had quite a scare for a minute. Since this is my backup I didnt buy it from B&H/Adorama, but perhaps in the future I should. Those reseller ratings are mixed, but the negative ones, certainly give you much to consider before buying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back