50D vs Original 5D

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I wanted to get some feedback on users who have tried both the 50D and the Original 5D. Which one works better in low light situations? More megapixels really isn't a selling point for me. I know the 5D is slightly more expensive, but I want to make sure I'm going to be getting a better low light camera if I'm going to spend the extra money.

I've never used the 50D, but it's high-iso performance is almost definitely better than the 5D's. But, even regardless of that, I'd still take the 5D over the 50D if for no other reason than the 5D is full frame. I never thought I cared until I got my first 5D.

I think 5d is better. I used it w/ no flash at iso 1600 f/2.8 1/60 and 1/30 INDOORS and was pretty happy with the results. Plus, some folks say b/c the camera is FF by default at same iso as dx sensor, it'll do better.
good luck

The 50D can produce usable images at 3200, but not nearly as good or as reliable as a 5D.

While I don't have any personal experience with an original 5D, my 50D has produced satisfactory results at 3200 ISO. But it can also produce some mediocre-to-bad shots.

img1273c.jpg

img1097.jpg

The first one is fine, the second one has clear issues in the solid black areas.

Both were taken at 1/320 at f/2.8 and ISO 3200 with a canon 70-200 2.8 IS.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back