50mil + Milky Way

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So. Much. Detail!

But really, I've never shot the milky way with my 50mil before. So when I was out the other night I did just that, and I'm really blown away at how much detail I captured.

_RSP5698 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

P.S., flickr seems to really be crushing my shadow detail lately. There's detail in that lower right corner (which is the top of the observatory).

What gear & settings did you use? I'm going to have to try this with my ef 50/1.8

What gear & settings did you use? I'm going to have to try this with my ef 50/1.8

Induro CT214 legs w/ a Arca Swiss Monoball on top
D800 + Really Right Stuff L-Bracket
Nikon 50mm 1.8G
Remote Release
ISO 2500, 10 seconds, f1.8

Processed in Lightroom CC

Cheers!
Jake

Great shot!! Yes, it does work well. I did it some times already, and even with the 105mm as well.
With the 50mm, I could get another two galixies in one shot as well, Andromeda & Triangulum galaxies.

Here is Andromeda (top left, very visible), and the Triangulum (bottom right, quite faint):

15770106665_ec28598752_h.jpg

D810 + Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AI-S @ 50mm, f/2, 8 sec, ISO 3200
Full version: All sizes Andromeda Galaxy Star Trek Flickr - Photo Sharing

And here the 105mm with the Milky Way galaxy center, with some satellites crossing by:

17244384645_8c3f4b90c7_h.jpg

D810 + Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro @ 105mm, f/2.8, 6 sec, ISO 6400
Full version: All sizes Satelit sou s ajit Flickr - Photo Sharing

Oh yeah, the 50 1.8 is really quite a great lens for astro work. I usually go with something like 6400, f2, 10 seconds but you picked up a lot of detail even at 2500. It's great because it's super easy to get focus dialed in using live view, and really no coma to speak of. Nice work man!

Oh yeah, the 50 1.8 is really quite a great lens for astro work. I usually go with something like 6400, f2, 10 seconds but you picked up a lot of detail even at 2500. It's great because it's super easy to get focus dialed in using live view, and really no coma to speak of. Nice work man!

I know, I was amazed at the detail I pulled out. Rhode Island skies aren't as dark as Maine's, but I made it work.

Thanks for the kind words bro.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You take that thing out the bold coast and you'll need a change of pants after seeing all the detail haha

detail is still there...

detail is still there...

Haha I mean detail I pulled from the file. Not like removed.

Jake

I'm just saying it see the ribbing on the tower.

using tapatalk.

I'm just saying it see the ribbing on the tower.

using tapatalk.

Odd. I can see it properly in Lightroom. Can't really see it after export. Definitely can't see it on the web. Must be from downsizing?

Jake

both great shots! lots of good detail! might have to pick one up after all. Do you know what nebula that it just right off center in the second one?

both great shots! lots of good detail! might have to pick one up after all. Do you know what nebula that it just right off center in the second one?

Thanks! I do not..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back