50mm 1:1.8 vs 50mm 1:1.4

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by TheCanonMan, Sep 7, 2005.

1. TheCanonMan

TheCanonMan TPF Noob!

what i would like to know is what is the better lens the 50mm 1:1.8 or the 50mm 1:1.4 i have both i like the 1:1.4 more but i dont know what is a better lens for every day use

by the way what is the 1:1.4 1:5.6 ext. stand for is the smaller the number better or is the bigger the number better ?

2. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    well, i dont see how your title has anything to do with your question, but generally the smaller that 1:(?) number is, the better. I'm most likely going to get flamed for saying that, as it is not always the case, like with long telephotos (canon's 400 5.6L lens is a gem, for instance), but for this instance i'll just say it. as for what that 1:5.6 and 1:1.4 is, check here, it should help you out: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3028

basically, lenses with larger max apertures (under f2.8 is considered large) cost more money to make, so the manufacturers go into more trouble to make good optical quality glass in them. this isnt ALWAYS the case, like I said, but generally it is.

on the topic of the 50mm 1.4 vs. the 50mm 1.8, here's a helpful review: http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/

3. TheCanonMan

TheCanonMan TPF Noob!

thanks for the info :)

4. lazarus219

lazarus219 TPF Noob!

The 1.4 is going to be alot faster, but for everyday shooting, you donty really need that speed, also- your depth of field all the way down at 1.4 is going to extremely shallow, so you might not be able to use that ultra-wide aperture alot of the time anyways, but at night, those extra aperture stops are going to keep you shooting handheld for much longer

5. HoboSyke

HoboSyke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I reckin get the 1.4 lens. Apparently its a lot better made as well..

6. Xmetal

Xmetal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    F1.4 has USM. :D

F1.8 doesn't. :meh:

7. TheCanonMan

TheCanonMan TPF Noob!

i have both lol i have 2 1:1.4's and 5 1:1.8's lol i save junk any one know what the S.S.C. on the 1:1.4 stands for ?

8. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Not really. The difference between 1.8 and 1.4 is less than 1 stop - in fact it's only 2/3rds of a stop so it's not going to give you much of a speed increase.

9. HoboSyke

HoboSyke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

If you check out the price difference - leaving aside the review - it becomes obvious that the 1.8 was designed as a budget lens. The 1.4 is the 'quality' lens. On this basis alone you would expect the 1.4 to perform better - and it does.

11. westman

westman TPF Noob!

i've tried Nikkor AIS 50 1.4 and AF 501.8
    both very good quility and sharp, i think it just depends on the things u want to archive , if u have that moeny buy 1.4, the dof is amazing

12. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd confidently do a shoot-out with my cheapo Canon 50mm f/1.8 mkII vs. the f/1.4 any day. ;) The f/1.8 mkII is plasticky and doesn't have the bells and whistles; someone mentioned USM, it also probably has a DOF scale, which the f/1.8 doesn't (cheap bastards at Canon!). But it's unlikely that you would be able to spot the difference in photos taken with the two. If money is no object, go for for the f/1.4 (or the f/1.8 mkI) ; it is definately a better built lens, but it won't take better photos than the f/1.8.

For my Nikon FM2n I have both the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 (expensive) and the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 (cheap). Comparing the two lenses the f/1.8 is sharper at f/2 than the f/1.4 at f/2, so more money doesn't always mean a better lens.

EDIT: By the way, it seems like this question has been posted about 4 times in the last week. Let's do a little searching, folks.