50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8

So let's revisit this. 50 1.4G or 85 1.8D. Who has used and is able to compare both?

I own a 50mm 1.4 af-d and a 85mm 1.8 af.

The 50mm 1.4 af-d is just slightly better then cheaper 1.8 version--I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $$.

The 85mm f1.8 is an amazing lens, but it doesn't see as much general use due to it's focal length, and I'm shooting full-frame.

Which you choose depends on what kind of things you shoot. If you shoot mostly people, go with the 85--it's an awesome portrait lens. For everything else, I'd choose the 50.

I have been shooting both lenses with different cameras.

I like working with the 50 f1.4 more than the 85 f1.8.

I am not sure if it is the lens or the cameras, I have not had the time to evaluate which yet. I figure I will be better able to judge so when I have had more time to work with them.
It seems my creativity is better suited with the 50...I just need more time/subjects to shoot before I am sure.

If you need better low light performance get the 50 1.4G. If you need more reach get the 85mm 1.8. Both are great lenses. You could also get the 50mm 1.4 AF-D even cheaper if price matters.

I know that you are comparing the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8 but, I have both 85mm and 50mm 1.8. I find myself using them both equally as I don't have limitations on space, mostly shoot weddings. Footwork was an adjustment for me, I cannot say that I have mastered it, but I have become a lot better. You will get sharpness on both.

I played with the 50 1.4 at the camera exchange and I personally didn't see much of a need for the 1.4 models-
1. price wise
2. I personally didn't think it was worth almost triple the price bc the difference wasn't all that much

Saving money is so hard to do. I have about decided that I want an 85 1.8 or to save my money and get an 80-200 AF-S. It would be much more flexible.

Saving money is so hard to do. I have about decided that I want an 85 1.8 or to save my money and get an 80-200 AF-S. It would be much more flexible.

The 80-200mm af-s is the lens I use the most, highly recommended. You should be able to find on in very good shape for $950 or less.

ps. there's a youtube review of the 80-200mm af-s that is complete hog-wash, and the guy that posted it bans anybody from commenting that doesn't agree with him. Do your research--it's a very well reviewed lens.

Most reactions

Back