50mm 1.8 or the 35mm 1.8

35mm and 50mm isn't wide enough to get distortion. Never seen or experienced any distortion from either lens. The 35 may be wide enough on a full frame sensor but since it's a DX lens we have no direct comparison.

Why not just get the 24mm 1.4 :lol:

Last edited:
emh,

The focal length does not merely change the frame. It does change the image. A telephoto lens makes the image flatter, and a wide angle makes it deeper. A 35mm will produce some distortion. How much? Or, more specifically, how noticeable will the distortion be?

That depends upon your distance from your subject, and your requirements for the image.

You might consider an inexpensive wide angle zoom that covers this range. It makes a good walking around lens. If you like the wider shots better, get the 35, if you like the closer shots better, you'll want the 50.

As lenses go, a 50mm 1.8 is fairly easy to produce, so it tends to be a great value. It produces sharp images for what it costs. It's probably a good starting point anyway.

35mm and 50mm isn't wide enough to get distortion. Never seen or experienced any distortion from either lens. The 35 may be wide enough on a full frame sensor but since it's a DX lens we have no direct comparison.

Why not just get the 24mm 1.4 :lol:

I believe it is the perspective distortion. It is not really the focal length causing the issue, it is the distance between the camera and the subject.

For a wider lens, in order to take certain type of shot, the camera may need to position close to the subject. And that cause the distortion.

Let's take an example. A person sitting on the ground. And that person's feet is closer to the camera than the person body and head. Now, you need to take a full body portrait shots. Which lens should you use to have less distortion? A 35mm, 50mm lens or a 135mm lens? (assuming you are in big open field)

TiCoyote,

Thanks for the detailed response. I do definitely plan to get a walking around zoom -- most likely the Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 VR -- but wanted to get the prime(s) first.

I was leaning towards the 50mm f/1.8 over the 35mm for now and you convinced me -- given how cheap the 50s are, no reason not to start there :)

Most reactions

Back