50mm digital lens

uvabug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens. It's my first prime lens, but I am really enjoying it. What I don't understand is why I'm finding it so very hard to get a really sharp photo. Granted, my little nephew does move around a lot, but the othe day, even when he was sitting still and I tried all sorts of adjustments, most of my photos were just not crisp. Is this a function of my inexperience with this lens or something more basic?

Thanks!

which camera are you using?
you could try setting it AI sevo (tracking focus) if you're having problems getting focus on random motion subjects. may up your chances of getting sharp shots.
Also make sure you do some post-shooting sharpening to your pics in Photoshop or whatever image editor you use.
and welcome to TPF:D

It's tough to say, without seeing a photo, and/or seeing your settings. Are you shooting wide open? The dof will be very shallow, and you might not be focusing dead on. Are you shooting in low light? There are lots of factors to contend with.

To make sure all is ok with your camera/lens switch the camera to auto and snap a few then try in manual and set your ISO to maybe 400 and your ap to what ever you want and your shutter to something like 500. A f1.4 lens is about as fast as lens as you can buy so there should be no blurring at all. One thing I can think of is that your metering might not be setup ideal for ythe type of shots your taing or maybe your your shooting at 1.4 attempting a really super shallow depth nd your foccus point is not exact.

Scott

At 1.4, the DOF is so shallow that the slightest movement will put the subject out of the focal plane. I tend to shoot with wide apertures and have ruined several otherwise great shots because of this. It's the price to pay if you want a wide aperture. You just have to practice a lot, be on your toes, and shoot a lot of images to get one just right.

Most reactions

Back