50mm f1.4 DoF "Double Vision"?

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I take a photo with a lot of DoF with my 50mm lens it looks as if it is "seeing double"(slightly) in the background where it is blurred.
It isn't too noticeable unless you look really hard... but it's still there...
Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with my lens?

With 'a lot of DOF'...(small aperture) or with a small DOF (Large aperture)?

Can we see an example?

ok, I just went outside and took a quick shot for an example.
(it was really hazy outside... forgive the haziness on the flag)

flag_2470.jpg

Notice the green fence pole in the background.
Maybe it's a little hard to see, but if you look it is like it's double vision. One on top of the other.

Here is a different crop from the same photo... maybe it might be easier to see against the stop sign.

stopsign_2470.jpg

Does anyone else see it??
Or is it that I am just seeing double??? :crazy:

i see what you mean.......

a wild guess from a newbie ( ME ).....the pole is striaght....in order to blur a straight pole....what does the lense do?....double, overlay and blend :hail:

I think what you are seeing is just...out of focus (bokeh).

Some lenses give a more pleasing bokeh than others...maybe yours just isn't pleasing :scratch:

i see what you mean.......

a wild guess from a newbie ( ME ).....the pole is striaght....in order to blur a straight pole....what does the camera do?....double, overlay and blend :hail:

The camera does not blur the image. The camera does not control what out of focus areas look like. This is a function of the lens. It is a result of the bokeh of the lens.

what brand lens is that? i have the Canon 50mm 1.4 and never realised anything like it.

Might be just what Big Mike said, that you lens simply produces a less pleasant bokeh for that sort of scene.

The camera does not blur the image. The camera does not control what out of focus areas look like. This is a function of the lens. It is a result of the bokeh of the lens.

i guess i should be more specific when i type......i do mean lense...but when i type....i just use the word "camera" to represent everything that you attach to the camera all the time.......thx for pointing it out Matt.......i should call you "sensei" from now on :hail:.....you are very informative and knowledgable

what brand lens is that? i have the Canon 50mm 1.4 and never realised anything like it.

Might be just what Big Mike said, that you lens simply produces a less pleasant bokeh for that sort of scene.
Same lens.

I think I'm just seeing it because I want a new lens. :lmao:

I think I'm just seeing it because I want a new lens.
Take the same shot with a 28-70 crap lens...then you will probably love your 50mm F1.4.

Same lens.

hey....never replace without an excuse....and now you have a perfect excuse.......time to get a new lense....:lmao:

Same lens.

then those might be crops?

I'd only replace my 50mm 1.4 with the new 50mm L lens ;) :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back