50mm F1.8 night shots

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by passerby, Apr 13, 2008.

1. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I took few night shots between 04.00 to almost 06.00 am with wide open aperture, so to be able to do hend held shooting. I have seen see the results as not good. It's ok as far as the picture are concern, but for me they are not so good. This is the second time I took night shot seriously.

For day time at f1.8 portrait style taken in the morning when the suns barely up, that was sharp photo.

So yeah I don't know what it is fully. I think it is just wide open facing the light that should be avoided.

2. Trenton Romulox

Trenton Romulox TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I really have no idea what in the hell you are talking about. I'm not sure I understand the purpose of what you're saying, haha. Can you explain yourself a bit?

3. Even wide open with high ISO settings you're going to get soft images. Wide open aperture means a very shallow DOF (which means a lot of the shot is out of focus) and high ISO makes the image extremely noisy (grainy.) Also, even high ISO means you still have a relatively slow shutter speed, which means you're probably shaking a little bit when snapping the picture.

The best way to get good night shots is to use a tri-pod. Then use a smaller aperture like f/11. Also to avoid any camera shake at all, use either a cable release, or use the short timer that's built into the camera... that way pushing the button means no effect on the camera.

Good luck!

4. passerby

passerby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the input. I think shallow depth was one of the reason that make it hard to get deeper field. I will give it a go again when I have the opprtunity.

What I meant was, since the daytime shot are reasonably good from this lens therefore I was expecting for equal results in the night. The kit lens does a good job in the night so I expect better result from this lens.

Instead of shooting the illuminated objects (day time) - here I shoot the multi color lights directly. The fully wide open lens seem not reproducing the light source 100% as the way I saw it. Next time when I try again I may try to slower it by one or two clicks and see what happen.