50mm f1.8 vs 50mm f1.4

By fast we mean capable of being used at a larger than average aperture. That allows the use of a faster shutter speed and also provides less depth of field. These things definitely affect the quality of images. Time to go get a good book on basic photography.

It depends on exactly what form of "ACTION PHOTOGRAPHY" you will be doing. Usually this means sport, if so, go for the fastest lens you can get/afford. Most sport has that "Documentary" feel about it usually down to the lens being fast and wide open therefore loosing some quality. but if you are keen on quality you will have to pay a lot of money for a fast and crisp lens, and of course it is in the eye of the beholder.

The other thing with sports is that you generally can't physically get that close to the action yourself. A 50mm would surely be far too short for many if not most sports photography situations. For this sort of thing you'd want a long focal length and speed... and that means big money. Of course you might not be talking about sport, or you might be talking about a sport where you can get close to the athletes and move around... as stated it would help to know what kind of "action photography" you're thinking of.

Mainly equine event photography, but also shots for owners who are working their horses in an arena or round yard at private agistment centers.

With the event photography it's all on the local scale; pony clubs and fun days etc, all done outdoors with the rings crammed in tight together. I've been to a few and have found I can get pretty close, especially at hack days. Showjumping/cross country is the main concern, unless I focussed on the one or two nearest jumps only. Shots for owners is no concern as I'd be in the arena or round yard with them (I'm no fence sitter!) and have legs to follow the horses around and get in close.

I think if I wanted to do shots at a higher level (indoor events, public paid events etc) I'd get another lens, for the moment I can't see myself going to anywhere larger than breed shows or local pony club type events.

Oh and edited to add that I'm also into equine portraits and candids... portraits especially when at an event as well (horses with ribbons around their necks for example).

If you're in rougher conditions like doing equine photography, your money would probably be well spent buying the f/1.4 lens mainly because of its increased durability. Rather than having to replace your lens within a short period of time, you'll be able to use and enjoy the f/1.4 for years to come. I ponied up for a Minolta 50mm f/1.4 prime and never regretted it. As soon as I held it in my hand, I knew I had made the right decision. My mother bought a 50mm f/1.8 lens for her Canon kit, and the difference was astounding. The f/1.8 feels like it was made by Playskool!

Most reactions

Back