50mm for Landscape?

Aha, well thanks manaheim. For the most part the reaction to that pano has been "wow, nice shot" but naturally I got really picky when I prepared it for printing on ImageKind. I did get the focus off on the second snap to the left; it was actually sharper! So I had to blur it up a bit so the darned break between the two shots looked more natural. But I digress. :greenpbl: (Any fuzziness was probably a combination of 4min exposure, humidity, and the relatively wide aperture; I just didn't feel like sitting for 16 minutes waiting for one exposure for more DoF.)

Totally understand... kinda surprised on the 16 minutes thing, though. Most of my night shots (at least the ones that would have that level of light) run around 30 seconds at F8 or so... give or take. What were you doing that took 16 minutes?

Aha, I wasn't manahiem, but I would've been had I stopped-down the aperture at all. I was probably around f/4 or f/5 for those. I've found I get less noise with longer exposure and lowest ISO, as opposed to what I've seen some people do which is shoot wide open and have a much shorter exposure time. May just be the poor signal-to-noise ratio of the 450D.

The exposures both took 4mins, but had I stopped down 2 stops, naturally that would've had to go to 16mins (unless I'm messing up my exposure calculations in my brain, but I got it right most of the time while I was shooting). >.<

wmc: What do you consider "good quality"? And what make is your camera? o_O (If a Canon, an EF-S 17-85 might float your boat, though it has its problems.)

Sorry I have a Canon, Do you like your 17-85 MusicaleCA? You said that it has its problems, just curious what those are?

I like it. It's a good lens to have for the sake of versatility; I don't think I could've shot Greek Day here nearly as effectively without that extra 30mm in length. I went into more detail about my experience with it here. There are a few other comments about that particular lens in that thread too that might help you out.

Most reactions

Back